Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I change a single or multiple (but not all) lines in my Parts Studio?

kevin_lawsonkevin_lawson Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
If this is addressed somewhere else, I'm sorry, please refer me to that link.
I wish to change the color of individual line(s) within Part studio.
K.Lawson

Tagged:

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi, and welcome to the forums.
    When you say "lines", do you mean the lines on a sketch?  If so then I'm sorry to say they already mean something and can't be changed. 
    Blue = Unconstrained = bad
    Black = Fully Constrained = good.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Stefan_DMSStefan_DMS Member Posts: 48 PRO
    Don't forget RED = Overconstrained/lost constraint = fix it before you forget and have problems later. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    if necessary your finial drawing will need to be exported as a dwg/dxf and you will need to change the colors there

Onshape does not currently have layers or specific line colors, I'm not certain if they are planning on it.
    You may need to create an improvement request if this is important to you.
    Don't forget RED = Overconstrained/lost constraint = fix it before you forget and have problems later. 
    Red lines?  I have no idea what you mean, pretty sure I've never seen any of those in our CAD...
    [LyingMode/Off]
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • kevin_lawsonkevin_lawson Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Thank you, I am speaking of changing construction, or Solid lines that I put in. I Redraw and Fair up old Sailing Ship drawings in CAD and many lines are VERY close and all mean something different. If I could color code them so each different colored group means something specific to that color. (all green lines mean Station lines, all  orange lines mean ref lines.......) Then if I have a questionable Station line, for example, I can color code it a different shade of green to remind me later not to rely on that one when cross referencing. Only having solid and construction lines severely limit how I can differentiate within a set.
     I believe though that the Question has been answered...and the answer is  No.
    Thank you Owen, Stefan, and John for your time and answers.
    Kevin
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    I would recommend sketching your groups of lines in different sketches then.  The sketches and consequently groups of lines can be turned on or off for easy viewing.  You can also name the sketch a name specific to that group (ex station lines, ref lines, etc.)
  • kevin_lawsonkevin_lawson Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Thank you Michael! It just seems like a bunch of extra, unnecessary steps for a seemingly (I could be way off here) simple task. But everything has its limitations....again, Thank you all for taking the time to answer.

Kevin
    Thank you Michael! It just seems like a bunch of extra, unnecessary steps for a seemingly (I could be way off here) simple task. But everything has its limitations....again, Thank you all for taking the time to answer.

Kevin
    Separate sketches is actually a good thing as:-
    (a) You can selectivity show or hide visibility of differing geometry types.
    (b) Sketch regions are generated automatically which can be used for extrusions and the like. 
    (c) It also helps in performance as there are lots of small tasks for the solver to crunch on.
    (d) Design Intent can be made clearer, as you've not got many dimension and constrains all on top of each other.

The concept of "layers" is common in "arty" software but it's good in CAD too.

One thing I would like is for projected geometry to have its own colour.  Just picking at random purple might be a good choice ;)

Cheers all,
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    IR for projected geometry clarity here should anyone care to cast a vote:-
    Cheers, Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • miguel_silva737miguel_silva737 Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Oh man, changing colour lines can be really useful and it is common practice in much basic softwares as that could allow you to havea sketch and send it to a lasercutterfor example where you would have black lines to cut and red to engrave.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    @miguel_silva737 you should create an improvement request for this.