Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Import Points

fredrik_1fredrik_1 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
Hello, does anyone know: is there any way to import point data into an existing Part Studio?
I tried with STEP 214AutomotiveDesign which can hold point data, but no points came in. 

Best regards,
Fredrik

Best Answers

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Answer ✓
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    ^ Since that discussion we have also introduced reference parameters, so that you do not need to hard code a reference to the csv file, but can actually reference the file by taking it in as a parameter in the feature dialog. See this documentation (and scroll down a bit to CSV section): https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/imports.html#reference-parameters
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    @fredrik_1

FYI, If you go and look at that thread that Tim mentions, I have updated that custom feature with our new reference parameter workflow.  That feature should be all up-to-date on current FeatureScript best practices, and may actually do exactly what you need without any coding on your part.

Answers

• KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    You cannot import points as Onshape has no object like 3D point.
    You can import lines. For example 2 intersecting lines at the point.
    G
    M
    T
    Y
    EnglishPolishSwedish
    EnglishPolishSwedish
    Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters
  • fredrik_1fredrik_1 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Thanks Krz
    I see that it might be possible through FeatureScript. All I'm trying to do is to import a lot of points, from a csv file or something like that so i can make various holes for screws. Anyone tried that?
    Best regards, Fredrik
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Answer ✓
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
    Answer ✓
    ^ Since that discussion we have also introduced reference parameters, so that you do not need to hard code a reference to the csv file, but can actually reference the file by taking it in as a parameter in the feature dialog. See this documentation (and scroll down a bit to CSV section): https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/imports.html#reference-parameters
    edited May 2019
    Thanks! Guess i have to learn some basic Featurescripting :)
    As always great support from OS, Featurescript is so nice!
    Answer ✓
    @fredrik_1

FYI, If you go and look at that thread that Tim mentions, I have updated that custom feature with our new reference parameter workflow.  That feature should be all up-to-date on current FeatureScript best practices, and may actually do exactly what you need without any coding on your part.
    Yes it works perfectly, to get the points in. I will now need the points into a sketch, to make the holes t? Will to figure it out my self..