Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cardboard Engineering using Sheet Metal Tool

john_doubledayjohn_doubleday Member Posts: 58 EDU
Has anyone used the Sheet Metal Tool to design for Cardboard Engineering?

Comments

• awkawk Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 78
    Not really exactly what you're asking for (I think) but I have a (slow moving) project I've been working on at https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7a394ff491dd3c42917748fc/w/a46f338bc4dd0fa296f56692/e/7e02af042a02d302b9b27528

The intention is to build an enclosure for the Creality Ender 3 printer - I prototyped it this weekend using some 1/8th inch foam board which has worked reasonably well - at least to show me the deficiencies before cutting any actual acrylic material.

The enclosure is designed using in-context references (from Creality's open source STEP models) and surface extrudes, then constructing a sheet metal model to give me the flat pattern pieces that I can then nest and prep for simple plotting and cutting.

(Unlike most of my colleagues I'm not a master CAD practitioner - others might have alternative proposals to achieving this :-)
    Director of API, Appstore, and App Partner Technical Support
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yes, you can use sheet-metal tools for any material type that folds.

You should adjust the bend radius and k factor to be much lower, because cardboard doesnt stretch, but rather collapses. 
  • john_doubledayjohn_doubleday Member Posts: 58 EDU
    edited May 2019
    OK....thanks John. and AWK....this has huge potential for school projects....Flat Pack ....ANYTHING. I will investigate further.....Maybe the tool should be renamed....FOLDING MODEL