Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

HOW CAN I CONNECT MULTIPLE DIFFERENT LINES TO MAKE A CONTINUOUS ONE?

grace_kellygrace_kelly Member Posts: 2
I'm creating the outline of a ring on OnShape and getting ready to extrude it, however, the outline is made up of 6 separate lines. I am trying to figure out how to connect these lines to make a continuous line, however, I'm a bit stuck.
(P.S I'm very new to OnShape so if the answer is really obvious, I apologise in advance.)

**I want the 6 lines in the outer line to be connected, rather than to all be separate, this way i'll be able to extrude it.**

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi and welcome :+1:
    The important thing here is not that they're one line, but they're they're coincident. (ie meet exactly at a point.)
    If you do that the inner part of your sketch will turn grey, indicating you have an enclosed "sketch region".  It's this region we'll extrude...

There are some great examples and webinar recording for learning this stuff.  Have a look for sketch basics or sketch fundamentals.

Feel free to shout with any questions as you come to them.
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    You also don't need to worry about trimming etc.

just get the shape, constrain the intersections and extrude the areas you want.

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @grace_kelly
    If you're new to Onshape, or even to CAD in general, it's well worth your time to go through the tutorials. Lots of questions get answered as you go.

Onshape Fundamentals
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    grace_kellygrace_kelly Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Everyone for your help, I now realised I took a very hard and long way to get the shape I wanted when it could have been so much simpler. I know how I need to fix it. Thanks Again!
    G
  • Options
    david_velozdavid_veloz Member Posts: 2
    If you want to do this for the purpose of moving your sketch as one part within the sketch, a workaround I found was to “over-define” the shape with dimensions. Then when you move a single line, splice, etc. the whole “shape” will move. 
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    If you want to do this for the purpose of moving your sketch as one part within the sketch, a workaround I found was to “over-define” the shape with dimensions. Then when you move a single line, splice, etc. the whole “shape” will move. 
    What do you mean?
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @john_mcclary
    I don't think he means actually over-define until it goes read, just defining lots of dimensions, etc.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    svdbsvdb Member Posts: 9
    This is an old question but it still comes up on top of search engines.
    Somehow, everybody's providing tons of advice but nobody's answering the actual question.
    So here's the answer:
    1. Select the end point of line #1
    2. Click the Coincident button in the toolbar.
    3. Select the end point of line #2 where you want to join the first line to.