Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

"True scale" viewing

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 PRO
Hi. As a design engineer, I'm sure we've all had the shocking experience when you prototype a part and the size is dramatically different than what you were expecting. This is a natural part of using CAD if you aren't careful, because being zoomed into a non-perspective model all the time is not exactly realistic. This can result in novice designers creating things which are way too large or way too small. 

Is there a way to view objects on the screen in a "true" scale, meaning the literal size on the screen is what you'd see if you 3D printed the part and laid it right up against your screen? 

Comments

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

@dan_engerer

You answered your own question. The only thing different you need to do is instead of putting the part up next to the screen, put a ruler up to the screen.

With one of your 3-D parts showing, use the show dimensions command on one of your sketches and then zoom in or zoom out on that model to where the dimension line in Onshape matches what’s on your ruler.

If you were working in millimeters and your ruler is inches, then just go and temporarily change the units so that inches will show

• Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    @dan_engerer : This isn't possible today. Can you log an improvement request for this, please? In the interim, Steve's suggestion would work, with one caveat : the increments of zoom may not be fine enough to get an exact match.
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Create a shape inside onshape with measurement marks all over it, like a ruler. 3d print or manufacture it and keep it as a desk toy. You can insert that part into your documents to compare sizes of objects to a real life piece.
  • a_d406a_d406 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    I have to do the ruler trick all the time. It is strange the developers missed that option/feauture. 
  • patrik_sjöbergpatrik_sjöberg Member Posts: 2
    Got here from googling how to zoom to scale. Thanks for the ruler trick. I see that there's a "Named Views" under the cube dropdown beneath the top right viewport gizmo. There you can save your view and that includes the zoom level so that you can return to your "true scale" zoom. 
  • javl0p_2javl0p_2 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I always though that "true scalling" would be a relatively simple feature to add, given that you provide your screen settings first. Without a doubt, a really helpful upgrade. 

There is a AR plugin in OnShape called ARbase that allows you to export your model and view it in your smartphone as a AR visor. Sometimes, when the "ruler on the screen" workaround wasn't enough to visualize the real size of my model, I used this to get a more real feel of the volumen I was designing.
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    edited September 2023
    This is not currently possible, and it will always depend on your screen size and resolution:

A workaround I've used in the part is to insert a reference object to reference proportion at a glance, i.e when designing large equipment we would use a 6' mannequin, or when designing small parts we would insert a quarter.

The ruler trick works, as long as your not regularly changing monitors/screens

-Turn on perspective
    -Place ruler by screen
    -Set view to a "Normal" default view (not iso)
    -Zoom in more precisely using  Shift-Middle mouse button.
    -Once the scale is 1:1
    -Create a Named View to be able to return to that POV scale without the ruler

You would have to do this for every Part Studio or Assembly, so not ideal
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager