Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Where ADD fails during Extrude

steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Using Onshape

A post by @omri_r got me to looking at why ADD doesn’t work at times while Extruding.

So we have a single part made up of a cuboid and a cylinder. And right through the middle of the cylinder we have a sketch of an inverted V.

There’s actually 3 different sketches that I used in the below GIF’s where the sketches have different end points on the inverted V.

Tagged:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited August 2019
    Hi @steve_shubin - thanks for posting this. These examples will create non-manifold geometry (easiest way to think of this is that an edge of a solid can and must only be shared by 2 faces - in these examples the edge would have 4 faces). These conditions arise when an edge or vertex touches a face from the same solid body creating an infinitely small region or singularity. I'm sure there's a more mathematical reason, but always think 1 edge, 2 faces.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @NeilCooke

That’s a very good explanation you gave Neil. Even I could understand that. LOL