Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

STL import, how many triangles are ok ?

Kai_himselfKai_himself Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
Hey,
i would like to import an STL File, from a professional surveying office. Now they ask me, how many points and edges do you can handle, or how many triangles do can handle ?
I didn't find anything about, how much triangles onshape can handle in the documantry.
Are they any experiences ?

Best regards
Kai
Tagged:

Comments

• Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    Hello Kai,

If you are talking about graphics / interaction performance, it depends on our graphics card and system you have. You can determine this on this page : https://cad.onshape.com/check . Note: This is only an approximation, you will need to test it out with some sample data.

Paul
  • Kai_himselfKai_himself Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Hello Paul,
    thank you for your quick answer. I think it depends on OnShape and not on my system.

Have a nice weekend
    Kai
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    Hi Kai,

Onshape will import the STL file on the server. We do not render the graphics on the server. Instead we use your browser to display the graphics. While we will try our best to render as much data as possible, Onshape graphics is limited by the capabilities of your system. We have more information here : https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/webgl.htm

• Ryan_WilliamsRyan_Williams Member Posts: 9 PRO
    I am not sure what the resolution is for the survey scans that you would typically receive and what volume they can capture, but below is a screengrab of a CT Scanned part. The two bosses are roughly 15mm away (D) and 12mm high (H). This would be an example of a small part with high resolution and it seems to be performing just fine. I understand this is completely different from a large scan such as a room/office etc. I wanted to mess around and scale it up x 200. This doesn't seem to have any effect on the performance and I'd imagine it's because it is not increasing the resolution (ie creating any new triangles). When the part was scaled x 200 the overall width of the part is 30 meters (it originally was about 150mm). The average distance between the nodes was roughly 200mm, which is quite large. It might give you some idea as to how it might perform when compared against your scans (overall volume/size of the triangles etc). 

The best thing would be to ask for a sample scan and see how it performs on your machine. I imagine the more powerful the GPU the more triangles it can handle. My work machine has a GTX 1060 6GB and has output the below score.