Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembling Imported Parts

So I have a question. I previously created parts for a mechanism on Tinkercad before I discovered Onshape. I imported all of the parts into Onshape and am able to view each part in separate part studios. The only problem is, I am unable to add the parts to an assembly. I click insert and choose 'this document' but the part studios don't show up. Please help!

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi,
    Check to see if they've been imported as parts, they may have been converted to surfaces.

If that's not the problem post a link to your file and I'm sure someone will help :+1:
    Owen
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • jaden_lindeman655jaden_lindeman655 Member Posts: 3 EDU
    I checked the parts and it says they are all 'meshes' and not parts. I've attached an image of what it looks like in the bottom left corner of my screen.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    Meshes are for reference while creating models and cannot be used in assemblies or drawings.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Can you re-export it as a step file or as a parasolid?
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd