Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Ellipse and bisecting line - instantly overdefined?

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
Hi friends! I've been away for a while, but have been using other CAD tools lately so felt more confident coming back and trying OnShape again. But I immediately hit a wall! That learning curve tho!

I have an overdefined sketch that cannot be solved.

Here is what I did:

1. Selected the xy plane and created a sketch
2. Drew an ellipse and dimensioned both axes (15mm and 10mm)
3. Drew a line that precisely bisected the ellipse. I did not dimension the line, but both endpoints are coincident with the edges of the minor axis of the ellipse.

This instantly threw the sketch into an overdefined state, possibly because OnShape automatically dimensioned the line segment (10mm)!

What am I doing wrong in terms of my workflow that can avoid this situation?

Best Answer

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You are correct - it is dimensioning the length because you are hitting 'enter' while the suggested dimension is showing.  This will happen on any sketch creation.  Perhaps Onshape should give an option - if the dimension is over defining 'make reference?'. 

As Onshape works now - the workflow should be to hit 'escape' to not accept dimension.    Or continue making lines works also; then the dimension just disappears.

Moving between softwares always takes a bit of refreshing the muscle memory.  
    www.accuratepattern.com

Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You are correct - it is dimensioning the length because you are hitting 'enter' while the suggested dimension is showing.  This will happen on any sketch creation.  Perhaps Onshape should give an option - if the dimension is over defining 'make reference?'. 

As Onshape works now - the workflow should be to hit 'escape' to not accept dimension.    Or continue making lines works also; then the dimension just disappears.

Moving between softwares always takes a bit of refreshing the muscle memory.  
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Thank you Bruce! Works perfectly, every time. I appreciate you jumping in there with a quick response!
  • NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    iPhone version is fine with this.The line is driven by edits of the ellipse.