Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Selection Instead Of Moving In Assemblies

NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
I cannot use a marque selection box twice in an assembly like I can in a part studio. After the first selection box is released, attempts with or without modifier keys merely moves objects. How do I use a selection box multiple times in an assembly?

On iOS it's simple enough since after making a first selection and dismissing the dialog box, the view locks and lets me issue another selection box and dismiss its dialog to add a second dragged selection.

On desktop you would naturally expect the shift key to work for this.

Comments

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    Can you make your selection first, then click the function?

It seems like I've had this problem also.

• Options
    NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    I'm astounded there's no quick answer to this. I'm trying in assemblies to make complex selections by using more than one marque selection box. But I can only use a selection box one time! Otherwise it just moves the already selected items around. After the first selection box is released I can then only click select single items to add them but never more than one at a time.

The problem is that there is no Assembly move tool icon so that tool is always activated as soon as any initial selection is made. Assemblies I need to view in detail by hiding dozens of things. I can't do that if I have to manually click on each item to select it.
  • Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    It can be very tedious with large assemblies but you can continue selection from the part list after a window selection. Hidden parts can be selected as well.
    My preference is to group items ahead of time so only one of the parts needs selecting to move many.