Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to combine imported assemblies into single line item in flattened BOM

rob_rowlandrob_rowland Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
For example if I import a ball bearing assembly, which might have 20 bodies (inner race, outer race, balls, cage, shields, etc.), it is showing up at 20 unique parts when I view it in a flattened BOM when it comes time to order components.  
This makes the BOM very difficult to use if you aren't the person who designed it.    I then have to copy the BOM to a spreadsheet, and manually fix all the instances where this occurs, which means I ultimately spend more time dealing with BOMs than if I had just used Solidworks.   
How can this be fixed?   Is there a way to merge multibody parts to show as a single part (not an assembly) within Onshape?

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    You can either set all but one race to "excluded from bom" in thier properties.

Or you can boolean union everything to a single body.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    ^^^ We are very aware of this need/work-flow and are working on something for you ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • MeckatronicMeckatronic Member Posts: 5 PRO
    ^^^ We are very aware of this need/work-flow and are working on something for you ;)

Hi Philip, I also have the same requirement, I would like to know if it is an improvement that you will introduce soon, because otherwise I will have to elaborate a script in excel or similar to elaborate a BOM that contains these assemblies. Thank you in advance for your reply.
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Here is a sample of what I do when multiple parts are bought as an assembly (IE one part) but need to have full function when inserted into next level. All items are excluded from the BOM at the sub assy level but the relationships have been included. There will be some mates to leave out of sub assembly and finish in next level. You can move the handle in this case and see other parts move with. A mate connector is placed for clarity in next level insertion. The vendor part number (properties) is applied to the assembly and shows as a single item in next level assy BOM. This works best with a structured BOM. If you must have flattened BOM then include one of the parts in BOM and make it's properties that of the purchased assy so it will behave as a single item in next level.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7efdc46d39f48a6d386664fe/w/99b774b13038e42938514e07/e/fb6aac82cf121235a083e37e
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Would like to see if there can be a better way of doing this suitable for structured or flattened BOM.
    The draw back is that a decision has to be made about which style to use at the out set as to whether you'll use a structured or flattened BOM.
    One does not work with the other and you may want it to behave the same in both styles of BOM.
  • oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @glen_dewsbury @Vins @rob_rowland

You can do it using OpenBOM flattened BOM. Check more in this article. 

How to create Order BOM and Purchase Orders for Your Onshape Project - Bill of Materials (BOM) ... https://www.openbom.com/blog/how-to-create-order-bom-and-purchase-orders-for-your-onshape-project