Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Circular pattern (feature) on a circular pattern instance - Regeneration time issue

clément_vannouqueclément_vannouque Member Posts: 8
Hello,

I'm working on this project : https://cad.onshape.com/documents/61c93af8be3c37adc571b378/w/5abe7de6e300b4377a5216d7/e/16a791dd3e86ebc7737ff12f

And I have an issue with regeneration time, it's starting to increase dramatically at the point I will not be able to work on it (more than 5min of regenaration).

I'm not sure what is taking so much calculation. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Looking at the regeneration summary, My circular patterns "led raw HX" are most of the time spent

Maybe it's because I'm using "faces" pattern instead of Feature? I didn't find any solution to use Feature for an instance of the previous circular pattern (looking at my file would be easier)

Can you help me out?
Thanks

Comments

• clément_vannouqueclément_vannouque Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

Even removing every feature patterns (I've read it's more expensive) doesn't change much :neutral:
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    It would be much faster if you patterned a group of them, probably using a segment of the part and Part Pattern. What will this look like as they converge to the point at the top though?

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    @clément_vannouque
    1. Make the cutout as a new part instead.
    2. Single 2nd circular pattern of the part.
    3. Boolean subtract of the parts that don't extend beyond the boundary.
    4. Delete the extra parts not used in the boolean.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    The reason that your Document takes so long to regenerate is the you have created a number of situations that solid modelling kernels try very hard to fix (read 'cpu cycles') -

Instances outside the part

Knife edges

Sliver Edges

I am not saying this is perfect, but here is my solution

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/991c6f54ed1d6692a687fccf/w/1267e47cab3b0d2d24aa245d/e/d5746bbc21347c534a57713a

I hope this helps :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    NeilCooke said:
    It would be much faster if you patterned a group of them, probably using a segment of the part and Part Pattern. What will this look like as they converge to the point at the top though?

Hi,

Thanks for you reply!

I actually prefer (if not must) to treat every raw individually to be more flexible on their alignment!
    The reason that your Document takes so long to regenerate is the you have created a number of situations that solid modelling kernels try very hard to fix (read 'cpu cycles') -

Instances outside the part

Knife edges

Sliver Edges

I am not saying this is perfect, but here is my solution

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/991c6f54ed1d6692a687fccf/w/1267e47cab3b0d2d24aa245d/e/d5746bbc21347c534a57713a

I hope this helps :)
    Hi, 

Thanks for you reply!

I didn't know, it looks like you nailed it.

I was having issues at the 8th line with make sense since it was starting to "go off"

Thanks again everyone !