Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - October 17th, 2019

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited October 2019 in New in Onshape
It's our second update this month and we are very excited for it! This update includes some of our most popular improvement requests. Let's get started.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

INTERFERENCE DETECTION

You can now analyze Part Studios and assemblies for interferences.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/8imwrjdlgr

DIALOG IMPROVEMENTS

Dialogs will now automatically advance to the next input in cases where only a single item can be selected.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/0c8zqj58q4

SECTION VIEW IMPROVEMENTS IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You will find a new "Show cut geometry only" checkbox option when creating Section views in Onshape Drawings. This allows you to create a section view with only the lines that are on the cut plane.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/vg6d9yheuh

DRAWING DIMENSION IMPROVEMENTS

You will find a new "Angular tolerance precision" option in the Drawing Properties of an Onshape Drawing. In the past, this was set to Tolerance precision and could not be set independently.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

ENTERPRISE CUSTOM FEATURES

Admins or owners of an Enterprise in Onshape can now distribute custom features within their organization automatically. They can also control when newer versions are available to members of the company.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/om7lv8mt4j

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

Three new technical briefings have been added to the Onshape Learning Center. The first focuses on "Best Practices for Managing Data in an Onshape Document", the second covers "Understanding and Working with a Document's Historical Data", and the last tech briefing covers "Understanding Release Management in Onshape." 

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @cody_armstrong
    These are great updates. How does Update All External References work with Released parts (Revisions rather than Versions)?

Thanks!
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    We do not auto-create revisions, but we do pull through if there are newer revisions available.
    Support & QA
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @jonathan_sessa - Are you aware that you can mirror assemblies today?
    • Create an incontext Part Studio
    • 'Mirror' the parts that are mirrored
    • Hit the insert/return to assembly (the mirrored parts will be added to the assembly)
    • Smile
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Great improvements!
    Good job Onshape! (-:
  • jonathan_sessajonathan_sessa Member Posts: 10 EDU
    edited October 2019
    @jonathan_sessa - Are you aware that you can mirror assemblies today?
    • Create an incontext Part Studio
    • 'Mirror' the parts that are mirrored
    • Hit the insert/return to assembly (the mirrored parts will be added to the assembly)
    • Smile
    I would not consider this "hack" a solution for the following reasons:

1. Parts that have an axis of symmetry are duplicated when it should just make a new reference of the same part (same with imported parts)
    2. A whole new part studio is created even when all the parts have an axis of symmetry, only new assembly references should be created. Parts that don't have an axis of symmetry should have a new part created in their respective studios.

However, this is a neat trick and im surprised it isn't more publicly known.
  • Effendi_HEffendi_H Member Posts: 19 PRO
    Awesome...keep it up!
    Thanks,
    Effendi H.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I really like the new update all button and the pinning of versions.

Could the pinning of versions be added to Custom Features as well?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Konstantin_ShKonstantin_Sh Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Nowadays I had to draw some assembly drawings and I have to say that section views and auxiliary views are a nightmare, using them you turn the drawing into mess of random hatchings and sected parts with no exlusions. Feels like you playing Fruit ninja  :s So i had to use cut-out views only.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Very good stuff here! Keep it up Onshape crew!
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Yes, loving this update! Thank you
  • Daniel_BarocioDaniel_Barocio Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Is great to have back the possibility to Update All External References, thanks!
  • Ed_McGuireEd_McGuire OS Professional Posts: 24 PRO
    Great Update!
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Awesome update!!!
    Interference detection and update all external references are great improvements, but I love the improvements in the dialogs
    That kind of little things make a great product

Could someone explain this line in the changelog?
    "Add Document labels back to Documents page"
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Awesome update!!!
    Interference detection and update all external references are great improvements, but I love the improvements in the dialogs
    That kind of little things make a great product

Could someone explain this line in the changelog?
    "Add Document labels back to Documents page"
    The last update removed the labels from the Documents page when the branch indicator was added. Previously, any labels that you applied showed up below the document name. It went away but is now back. I am so happy. I use labels extensively to find categorize and find student assignments.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @brian_brady Ok, thanks
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • GuidoNADECGuidoNADEC Member Posts: 27 PRO
    Thanks. Really great updates!!
  • dan_manoimdan_manoim OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    I've been waiting for this. Good work
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great work. Interference checks will be really handy
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    thanks!
    we need cloud line!!!

edited October 2019
    Is Onshape Assembly Expoded Views and Composite parts being released soon?

New error types in errorstringenum.gen.fs:
    Assembly explosion:
    /* Failed to compute explode step direction. */
    ASSEMBLY_EXPLODE_STEP_DIRECTION_QUERY_FAILED,

/* Failed to resolve explosion. */
    ASSEMBLY_EXPLOSION_DOES_NOT_EXIST,

Composite parts:
    /* Failed to create composite part. */
    CREATE_COMPOSITE_PART_FAILED,
    /* Attempted to create a composite part containing another composite part. */
    NESTED_COMPOSITE_PARTS,
    /* Cannot create a closed composite part that partially overlaps another composite part. */
    COMPOSITE_CLOSED_OVERLAP,
    /* Cannot create an open composite part that partially overlaps a closed composite part. */
    COMPOSITE_OPEN_OVERLAP,
    /* Cannot create a closed composite part containing a sketch. */
    COMPOSITE_SKETCH,
    /* Cannot create a composite part containing a mate connector. */
    COMPOSITE_MATE_CONNECTOR,
    /* Cannot create a composite part containing a plane. */
    COMPOSITE_PLANE,
    /* Cannot create a composite part containing a non-modifiable body. */
    COMPOSITE_NON_MODIFIABLE,

IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited October 2019
    @MBartlett21 - Morgan, it's a good thing we like you or there would be severe beatings coming your way!
    Yes we are working on a lot of stuff, but you know how it works - you get it when it's ready!!!!!
    Image result for bad minion
    (I guess it serves us right for publishing our feature source code! ;))
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    edited October 2019
    @philip_thomas
    Sorry

My Dad ( @Ben_Tek_Pac ) wants to know when Weldments are coming as well.
    (At the moment, I can only think of it as a use for the points manipulator. Example in my Australian Beams FeatureScript here)
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    FYI to those missing the Update all references button in assemblies, right click the toolbar and select "customize" to add the new button.

I was going to ask if Onshape removed the update ref button already.. but looks like there is still a bug with new toolbar items not automatically adding.
    I never modified the asm toolbar in the past afik. so not sure why it would still have been off by default.

@MBartlett21 - Morgan, please feel free to tell your Dad that 'Yes, Onshape will have weldments as soon as they are ready!'
    (sorry - no timeframe, but code is being written today :))
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @MBartlett21 - stop spoiling the surprise for everyone!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @MBartlett21
    Don't let Philip and Neil scare you, you didn't do anything wrong.  The fact that we're working on a bunch of highly-requested functionality is no secret and our standard library is publicly available, so it's fine to look and ask.  At the same time, our response will continue to be "it's done when it's done."
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    @MBartlett21 - Morgan, don't let @ilya_baran lull you into a false sense of security, here is a picture of Neil when he read your post! ;)
    Image result for scary minion

(Morgan, you know we are just having fun with you - we love all that you do for the community and if you find something salacious, you are welcome to post it :)) - Philip :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape