Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to cope multiple steel tube joints?

Hi All

I've created an engine mounting in Onshape that uses many, mainly 25 x 1 mm steel tubes (it's really a recreation of an old aircraft engine cradle from the early 30's). Anyhow I'm stumped on how to cope the ends of my tubes so they can be cut and welded. My model is at........

I got excited about the beams feature but it can't seem to deal with projected curves. At the moment I have only progressed a very small way, and that was by:

1) creating PART 1 by extruding a tube profile sketch - it's called "Extrude 2 - TUBE B"
(...2) creating PART 2 as a MIRROR of Part 1 - it's called "Mirror 2 - STBD TUBE B")
3) creating PART 3 by extruding a similar tube profile sketch. This intersects Part 1 - It's called "Extrude 1 - Port TUBE A"
4) using the sketch profile of PART 1 to extrude a REMOVE into Part 3, thus coping one end of Part 1 - the resultant feature is called "Extrude 1 - Copes the end of TUBE A"

You will see my drama though when you look at my joints of up to 8 intersecting tubes...........What comes first, the chicken or the egg? or the padded room, soothing music and basked weaving classes?

Indeed because my tubes need coping at both ends I think I would go mad. My next thought was to position sketch planes mid way along my tubes, extrude them in outward directions from that plane, and use the technique above to use 'remove extrusions' to cope the ends.But i still don't know if this is a good idea. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here.

Your advice will be much anticipated and much appreciated.

Best regards
Paul

Best Answers

• paul_noonan783paul_noonan783 Member Posts: 8
    Answer ✓
    Hi Neil

Thank you...... I suppose I could use existing projected straight lines to create planes and recreate the projected lines as sketch lines thence use Beams..I've never used Boolean operations, I still think that might be the easier path! Thanks again :smile:

Answers

Answer ✓
    Hi Neil

Thank you...... I suppose I could use existing projected straight lines to create planes and recreate the projected lines as sketch lines thence use Beams..I've never used Boolean operations, I still think that might be the easier path! Thanks again :smile:
    Hi Glen

Thanks very much for this.  It looks substantially more sophisticated than mine. I'm likely to have a couple of similar applications for this construction, so study it I will.

Best regards

Paul