Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Top ten improvement request... to be implemented in 2020

emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in General
This is the last post, at the end of 2018, about the Top ten improvement requests https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10786/top-ten-improvement-request-updated#latest

But this time instead of waiting for December I will publish it a little earlier ... just in case we have any of these improvements as a gift this Christmas ;-)

1 - Coloring faces 
2 - 
Exploded Views
3 - Global variables
4 - Make Part Transparent in Assembly
5 - 3D sketching / curves
6 - Mirror feature for assembly workflow
7 - Center of Mass Symbol
8 - Create and edit variables from within a sketch
9 - Assembly interference detection
     9' - Sheet Metal Features (Partially implemented)
10 - External cosmetic thread

And this is my own top ten list updated:
  1. Handle identical parts in Part Studios and BOMs (Group by name or part number)
  2. 3D Sketch
  3. Mirror in Assemblies
  4. Where a part or assembly is used
  5. No-CAD users who can edit properties (in Onshape Professional)
  6. More options to create teams & share (hide other members in teams and Share a few tabs of a document)
  7. Notes in Part Studios and Assemblies (Weld, surface finish, tolerances,...)
  8. Interference detection
  9. Drawing properties templates (or in the settings) & change individual properties of an element (Partially implemented)
  10. Coloring faces and textures 
And as an extra, a simple checkbox option in the settings: Avoid to create a Drawing from a Part Studio
Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                     Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común

Comments

• Options
    TimetrekerTimetreker Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Very interesting and indeed features very much needed in a professional CAD tool. Totally agreed with both lists.
  • Options
    don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 139 PRO
    edited November 2019
    I like all of these, but I'm not seeing many of them so far.  I know that they are planning on adding folder grouping in Part Studios, but where it really needs to be is in Assemblies, where the Instances Tree gets super-huge.

My top picks are:

1. Modify part surface for color, texture, and add artwork.
    2. Folder structure in Assemblies.
    3. Move mate connections to a drop-down menu, rather than in the Instances Tree of Assemblies.
    4. Ability to move a part or assembly from the 0,0,0 point of the CoG, to the Origin.

...among many other things.
  • Options
    c_harshac_harsha Member Posts: 15 PRO
    This is the last post, at the end of 2018, about the Top ten improvement requests https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10786/top-ten-improvement-request-updated#latest

But this time instead of waiting for December I will publish it a little earlier ... just in case we have any of these improvements as a gift this Christmas ;-)

1 - Coloring faces 
    2 - Exploded Views
    3 - Global variables
    4 - Make Part Transparent in Assembly
    5 - 3D sketching / curves
    6 - Mirror feature for assembly workflow
    7 - Center of Mass Symbol
    8 - Create and edit variables from within a sketch
    9 - Assembly interference detection
         9' - Sheet Metal Features (Partially implemented)
    10 - External cosmetic thread

And this is my own top ten list updated:
    1. Handle identical parts in Part Studios and BOMs (Group by name or part number)
    2. 3D Sketch
    3. Mirror in Assemblies
    4. Where a part or assembly is used
    5. No-CAD users who can edit properties (in Onshape Professional)
    6. More options to create teams & share (hide other members in teams and Share a few tabs of a document)
    7. Notes in Part Studios and Assemblies (Weld, surface finish, tolerances,...)
    8. Interference detection
    9. Drawing properties templates (or in the settings) & change individual properties of an element (Partially implemented)
    10. Coloring faces and textures 
    And as an extra, a simple checkbox option in the settings: Avoid to create a Drawing from a Part Studio

I very much like to see 3) Global variables & 7) Center of Mass symbol implemented into Onshape soon. Global variables will be a huge boost to functionality of Onshape.