Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

stub of face remains after chamfer

mark_nahabedianmark_nahabedian Member Posts: 31
My document is:

In the "stop nut" part studio, I needed to add the fill "notch
base" so that I would have a face to do an extrude/solid/remove
for the index notch on one corner of the pentagon.

After I created "chamfer for base overextrusion" (FDM 3d printers
tend to overextrude the first layer), part of that fill
surface that I think should have been removed with the chamfer
still remain.  Why wasn't it removed?  How do I get rid of it?

Thanks.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hide or right click and select "Delete Part"

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • mark_nahabedianmark_nahabedian Member Posts: 31
    Thanks again Neil.  That did the trick.

I guess I'm confused about the distinction between faces, surfaces and fills.

Does the OnShape documentation include a glossary of terms where I could look things up?  I've seen concept overviews but they don't necessarily present concepts in the order I need to know them and my goal driven approach to my use of OnShape hasn't exposed me to those concepts as I encounter them.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Basically, a solid has volume, a surface does not. A face can belong to a solid or a surface - a solid is a collection of fully enclosed faces that create a volume and a surface is a collection of connected faces that have no volume. Did I just complicate things even further?

In most cases, you don't need to use surfaces to get the shape you want, it can be all done in solids. A fill is a surface, btw.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Some unsolicited advice from someone who started where you are now.

(1) Ignore surfaces and fills for now.  Concentrate on the basics first.  Parametric CAD's most common workflow is sketch, then use that sketch in an extrude, revolve or sweep feature to make a solid part.
    (2) Use the built in tools where appropriate.  Chamfer, fillet, holes.
    (3) Play with the parametric nature a bit more, move things up and down in the feature tree, see what effect that has.  Change dimensions and let stuff rebuild.  Does it do what you intended?  (See "Design Intent")

Once you have a grasp on that then look into surface modelling, and direct editing.  However unless you're designing anything curvy and organic the first three steps above can design most things.

Cheers,
    Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd