Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I edit this STL file?

david_miscdavid_misc Member Posts: 5
I downloaded an STL file from https://grabcad.com/library/tardis-metropolitan-police-box-mk2-1

But I can't see how to edit it e.g. draw on it.

I seem to have managed to import it  to an extent

But if I try to open it e.g. open workspace,

It just shows

And I can't see how to open it so as to edit it, to draw on it etc.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    If you look at the bottom of the Onshape window that you took a screenshot of you should see that there are other tabs to navigate to. You are viewing that tab that contains the original file-type, not the translated data.

In the other tab you will see the Part Studio that contains the STL. Keep in mind, you can not modify STL data within Onshape. You can only use it to reference to.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    I guess you mean the bottom sreenshot?
    the tabs I see are just CAD imports and Met Police. I can't see any others there.  And I think i'm on the met police tab.. and when l click the CAD imports tab then nothing happens.

what file format does onshape use?  like what file format can / does it save and edit with?

also, is there any file format that onshape uses that is compatible with almost any 3d printer?

thanks

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,388
    You are in a folder - click the home icon in your image to go up a level. You can import/export most formats, but use STL for printing.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    thanks, I now see the 'home' icon that was cut off in the bottom left of the second screenshot in the first post and that opens up the editing screen.