Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Internet requirements

GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
I am working on a new project in a new location and have been asked by the IT department what are the minimum requirements to run Onshape, i.e. down and upload speeds?
When the network here is busy I can be waiting a while to open documents and to design using Onshape. Any help would be much appreciated.

Answers

• Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    edited November 2019
    @GWS50 ,
    It isn't easy to give a specific download / upload speed, because there are a lot of variables, for example the size of the document and more importantly latency.
    This thread has a lot of information : https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9021/internet-performance-and-onshape .
    One suggestion would be to test out the performance under different network conditions and see what works for you. I use Google Chrome to do this. Here is more information : https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/simulate-slow-internet-connection-testing/
    Paul
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Can't you just license Stadia's "negative latency"? :s
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    No idea! I'll investigate
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Thanks for the links Paul
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    edited November 2019
    That wasn't a term, I was familiar with. On reading up, it was interesting. On advantage that games / movies have over us is the fact that the data that needs to be sent is precomputed and can be cached. Also for a given situation, the list of next moves can be predicted to some degree.
    We certainly cache a lot of data/state to make things as fast as possible. However our list of next moves is infinite. That said, it would be really cool (to me at least), if we could predict a CAD designers next move :) 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @Paul_J_Premakumar Yes, it's an interesting topic isn't it?  I like what Stadia are doing, I just wish they hadn't used such a blatantly misleading term to describe the genuinely clever methods they're building. 
    If you could develop Onshape to predict where our next features needs to be and pre-render a bunch of options then I think you could take a small vacation for a few days...
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Has onshape updates increased data requirements ? 
    Since I have to work on mobile network during the Covid crises Onshape has become useless. Apparently my mobile network of 2.5Mbit/s is insufficient. 
    Last year (1999) I had no problems.
    Any workarounds?.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @rune_thorsen229 data requirements have not changed. Are you running on 3G? While this is just about bearable it is certainly not acceptable. Minimum would be 4G. Data is only really used on document loading. Network latency is the most important factor. I’m curious as to why you no longer have broadband?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    @rune_thorsen229 data requirements have not changed. Are you running on 3G? While this is just about bearable it is certainly not acceptable. Minimum would be 4G. Data is only really used on document loading. Network latency is the most important factor. I’m curious as to why you no longer have broadband?
    Seems like COVID has put a huge load on the internet with everybody videoconferencing (schools etc.) We have to be agile working, meaning using tethering and unfortunately they sell services as up to 10Gb/s but in reality we are down to some Mbs. If onshape like google drive had an offline mode it would be great.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    NeilCooke said:
    Seems like COVID has put a huge load on the internet with everybody videoconferencing (schools etc.) We have to be agile working, meaning using tethering and unfortunately they sell services as up to 10Gb/s but in reality we are down to some Mbs. If onshape like google drive had an offline mode it would be great.
    Hi Rune, I'm not sure I understand why being "agile" means you have to tether to your phone? I can't say I've noticed any degradation of service in my home internet. It's not possible to make Onshape available offline since all modeling calcs take place in the cloud.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI