Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Translating from a derived sketch, with constraints

skybrianskybrian Member Posts: 25
Hi, I'm new to OnShape and CAD in general. Here's how I'm translating a derived sketch. First "use" the the sketch entities you want, then translate them, then connect them all back to the originals with construction lines, adding parallel and equals constraints to the construction lines. (Also, don't forget to add coincide constraints to the originals.) It works for me, but maybe there's a better way?

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Not sure what you're trying to achieve here? A 3D object? Just extrude the sketch.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • skybrianskybrian Member Posts: 25
    No, just 2d. I wanted to have a translated copy of the top left footprint, connected by constraints so that when I change the original (in another part studio) the translated copy would change as well. The constraints ensure that the copy is locked in the same shape as the original, but is still movable.

(That is, if you added all the constraints. I dragged the copy and found that I missed a few.)
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You could also create a zero offset surface of any sketch regions (shaded areas) or composite curves if you want sketch edges, then use transform.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI