Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to merge multiple documents?

I've created 5 parts on different documents. How would I combine these all onto one document, with each on different part studios?

Comments

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    The initial question I have is, why do you want to do this? There is absolutely nothing wrong with having them be in separate documents as the use of linked documents makes referencing all of the parts together in a top-level assembly. This sort of organization is even encouraged if the parts you've designed are going to be using in multiple projects/assemblies so that they are easier to find instead of being hidden within just one of the projects.

In the case that these are all being used together and just in for this one instance, then you can move each of the part studios (notice I didn't say parts) into a common document by right-clicking on the Part Studio tab and selecting 'Move to Document' and then moving all of the parts to a common location.

If the parts you are trying to move are within part studios with multiple parts and you are just trying to get them together to create new geometry. I would defer to inserting them into an assembly and creating a part studio in context.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this and I'd be happy to provide more detail.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I see that you're an EDU user, so you may be forced to have multiple parts in one document for an assignment or something. 

But, if that's not the case, one other point I would make in favor of keeping parts in separate documents is that the history for each part is much easier to understand. In my first big project, I had a couple dozen parts in one document, and quickly realized that trying to keep track of different part versions and branches for that document was a nightmare. Splitting that document up has made things much easier to deal with. 
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    I always thought splitting it up means more version management.

Every time you modify a part, you have to save the version, then update it each tab it appears in if you derive, and finially in the assembly too.

I tend to do a lot of massaging toward the end of a project. Hundreds of micro changes and double checks. I've tried to steer clear of that mess as well.

I would say only do this if it is a part you want to use over and over in other projects.
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @john_mcclary - That's a good point. My method creates more work to make sure links are on the correct version, but the trade-off for me, seems worth it.

I usually end up having alternative designs for parts (exploring concepts, different configurations, modeling changes that need to be reviewed by someone else before integration, etc.). So, it became really hard to understand what version of the design livee in what branch or version and how things needed to be merged to keep different branches up-to-date.