Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rod end bearing mating

SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
Hi, im very new to CAD and onshape and im having trouble with something thats probably very simple. 

Im trying to model a knife sharpener and i need the rod to slide back and forth through the centre of the ball end joint but also for the ball end joint to rotate so that you have a full range of motion with the rod.

I have set the centre of the ball end joint to a ball mate with the body of the joint and then set a slider mate between the rod and the centre of the joint and the body as fixed. All i get from this is the rod sliding back and forth with no rotation. What mates would i use to get the motion im trying for? 

Thanks all.

Answers

• cadmandocadmando Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Hi Nick
    Try using Cylindrical mate in place of the Slider Mate, it worked for me on my Roof Access Hatch, I will send you a message so you can send me your email to Share so you can take a look.

Graham D Midgley (CadManDo)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi Nick,

Great to see you giving Onshape ago. Will be ideal for model engineers.

@Cadmando is right, a cylindrical mate will work. You will have to setup the 2 mate connectors first. Mating in Onshape does take a bit of getting use but once you do it is quite quick to use.

Mate connector can be added in the part studio, this maybe easier than in the assembly, make sure you click an owner part so it comes into your assembly. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    The cylindrical mate did the trick, thanks guys. Ive only ever really used sketchup before so this is all really new to me. Its fantastic that onshape have opened up a free tier for the hobbyist like me.

Thank you for the really kind offer to view your project graham.
  • cadmandocadmando Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Your welcome
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited May 2015
    Hi Nick,

Great to see you giving Onshape ago. Will be ideal for model engineers.

@Cadmando is right, a cylindrical mate will work. You will have to setup the 2 mate connectors first. Also make sure you fix one of the parts, RMB in the tree over a part and select fix. Mating in Onshape does take a bit of getting use but once you do it is quite quick to use and has great flexibility eg. you can change/edit an existing mate from fasten to cylindrical to ball at any time after creation. 

You will have to get you head around mate connectors as the mate reference points. Mate connectors can also be added in the part studio, this maybe easier than in the assembly, when doing this in a part studio make sure you click an owner part so the connector follows the part into your assemblies. 
    Sorry about the double up. Not sure how that happened.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    @brucebartlett

I think sometimes the "edit" response is glacially slow to open an edit window, (maybe it freezes in the Southern winter  ),

but there is always a "new" comment window pre-opened just beneath it, so there's a natural tendency to mistake the latter for the former.