Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Make mirrored part a new part

I added a plane (plane1) over which to mirror a part. Then deleted the original part. Now there remains a "ghost" (for lack of better word) on the front plane. 

How can the mirrored part be moved to the front plane along with deleting plane1? in other words, I want to clean this part up so it looks like a new original.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/41e37808df9fac617da22443/w/3b22eacc992851cdbc7eb510/e/21fb5dc39d2b3daf928bf49e

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    The "ghosted" features are just the sketches you used to create the original part. They are required to create the Mirrored version, since they were used to create the original features.

You can hide them by clicking the "eye" icon that appears next to each feature in the Feature List:

The "ghosted" shape that shows with Sketch 2 is there because you created that sketch on a face of the model, instead of on a Plane.

Romeo
  • Options
    john_lombardojohn_lombardo Member Posts: 20 EDU
    Thank you much for providing a clearer picture of how to create a mirrored part that can be further edited independently of the original.
  • Options
    john_lombardojohn_lombardo Member Posts: 20 EDU
    When making mirrored parts that must differ in some features, It seems like it is best to mirror off one of the major planes (like the front) and chose "New" for type of mirror. Then additional features could be added independently to each of the two parts by adding sketches to specific part surfaces or by controlling extrusions of sketches on the mirror plane. I know this seems elementary to experienced users, but it was a Eureka! moment for me! Thanks again to all who responded.