Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

First CAD model feedback

nathan_goingsnathan_goings Member Posts: 4
This is my first "CAD" model with an assembly and models.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/76b2f2f03c207c18ec9ecbcc/w/9a26152f6611288171a2c36a/e/5e700b31bab3e183733a22c3

What do you guys think?  Is there anything that sticks out that I could improve on?

Comments

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    @nathan_goings

Below is a document that shows another way of going about your project.
    The way shown below saves you 3 steps (Features)
    It is possible to eliminate one of the features in the document below by combining the first two sketches, but sometimes it’s nice to simplify your sketches

It’s a good idea to fully define your sketches

All elements of your sketch will be black when your sketch is fully defined. When fully defined, you’re not going to accidentally drag parts of your sketch around as all elements will be locked in place, so to speak

Using constraints such as the dimension tool, the vertical and horizontal constraints, and the other constraints, will allow you to fully define your sketch

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/aa32af2e57e5488845dea901/w/e1972f85cfc5cbe9d3b2b44f/e/00897b05c89720a88b22ae15

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited January 2020
    Hi, and good job :+1:

What @steve_shubin says  :)

My personal preference is also to name everything that can be named.  (Parts and features.) 
    When you go back to edit it it a lot easier to look at a sketch called "Sketch - Bracket Side Profile for extrude" and decide that might be what you're after rather than say "Sketch22". 
    Likewise name the parts, especially if you're going to put them into assemblies.  An entire assembly made up of 6 different "Part1" from 6 different PartStudios, probably all called "PartStudio1" can get hard to manage pretty quickly.

Also kudos for holding up an initial file for comment, I wasn't nearly that brave when I started  :(

All the best, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    In addition to the two above comments.

I see you made both parts in the same studio. But you did not draw them together. Which defeated the purpose of using the same studio.

Draw them together, in the position they are intended to be assembled. Otherwise draw them in their own part studios.  Not a big deal with just two parts. But the ability to draw them in working position and share features is the major benifit of multi-body modeling.

to model non-related/connected parts in the same studio will lead to inefficient work flows later on. When you start getting more advanced.

Keep it up, and welcome to Onshape

• nathan_goingsnathan_goings Member Posts: 4
    Wow, I did not expect this much feedback!  Thank you!

@steve_shubin, Thank you for the sketch.  I've learned quite a lot from it :smile:
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @nathan_goings

I’m pleased to hear it helped
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Wow, I did not expect this much feedback!  Thank you!

@steve_shubin, Thank you for the sketch.  I've learned quite a lot from it :smile:
    It's like that here :+1:
    Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd