Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - January 7th, 2020

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited January 2020 in New in Onshape
It's 2020, and we are starting early with an update that will help you improve productivity in the new year! This update focuses on a number of user-requested usability and drawing improvements. Let's dig in.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

MEASURE TOOL IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You can now measure in Onshape Drawings.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/0p06yu6syp

MIN/MAX DIMENSION IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You will find a new Min/Max Dimension type in Onshape Drawings. This new dimension makes it easier to dimension to the inside or outside of arcs or circles.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/npndmcy9z0

GD&T EDGE EXTENSIONS

You can now create GD&T symbols that reference an edge with an edge extension as opposed to a leader with arrow.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/9rig0k5nds

MICROSOFT ONEDRIVE INTEGRATION

You can now integrate Microsoft OneDrive with your Onshape account.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/egd3eqsg2v

COMPOSITE PARTS FILTER IN ONSHAPE ASSEMBLIES

You can now filter by Composite parts when inserting into Onshape Assemblies. This was highly-requested by users after announcing this new feature a few months ago.

EXPORT IMPROVEMENTS

Those with export permissions can now export Linked Documents from the right-click context menu of an assembly. In the past you had to open the Linked Document and export from it.

PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

EXPORT FROM RELEASE CANDIDATE DIALOG

You can now export directly from the Release candidate dialog in Onshape. This is especially useful for those that need to export released data as you no longer need to load the release and browse through the Document to export.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/o6tzcqu12e

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

A new course, Understanding Curves, has been added to the Onshape Learning Center to explain how to create the underlying framework for advanced part creation and surface models. This course is available to Standard, Professional, Enterprise, and Educational subscriptions.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• HuguesLessardWRIHuguesLessardWRI Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Nice work! Drawing improvements are always welcome.
    Hugues Lessard
    Ingénieur de produits / Product Engineer
    Waste Robotics Inc. / www.wasterobotic.com

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, drawings improvements are very welcome
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Cool beans

Glad to see you are still improving drawings
  • Effendi_HEffendi_H Member Posts: 19 PRO
    Nice work developer team.
    Thanks,
    Effendi H.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Wow - the export from Release dialog is a HUGE time-saver.
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Nice!!

Will it be possible today/later to filter a featurescript instantiator for composite parts only?
    Cheers, Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Konstantin_ShKonstantin_Sh Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    From one point it's a big improvement to have one place for export each part, from the other hand you made it dependent from release process. From what I heard on the forum releasing is not as flawless so we avoid using it for now, and it means that though you now can say that you have this feature, it may be actually mostly unusable just like assembly items.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Nice!!

Will it be possible today/later to filter a featurescript instantiator for composite parts only?
    Cheers, Owen S.

Unless I am misunderstanding, I believe this is possible:

https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/library.html#newInstantiator-Id-map
    When you are creating your instantiator, you pass it a query that filters down to the composite parts only using a query like:

https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/library.html#BodyType
    qBodyType(query, BodyType.COMPOSITE)

ex.
    newInstantiator(id, {
                "partQuery": qBodyType(query, BodyType.COMPOSITE)
            });

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    Thanks @jakeramsley that's exactly what I'm after. Sorry for not reading the manual properly and seeing composite was already a body type.
    Will take it for a test-drive in the morning.
    Cheers, Owen.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 東_鈺東_鈺 Member Posts: 6
    I want to input Chinese directly on the drawing
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited January 2020
    Great to see another set of updates. The best thing ever is not having to worry about upgrades and just logging in for a new version.  It's great to see further improvements to drawings, they are a real joy use now and all these small improvements are the icing on the cake.  I am also liking the larger button in the insert which I think has only just turned up.  Also, I am now making use of the interference tool from a previous recent release, this is very handy and just saved me from a few drawing errors. 

Great to see some important improvements around release and exports but would be nice to have a bulk export button, for me, export for drawings in pdf's and dxf files from a release in one go would be a huge time saver.  Please, please keep working in this area as it's currently a real productivity killer at the highest-pressure point of projects. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    +100

Edit:   make that +300 just for this release package alone...

Yes Please! Print or export 300 approved drawings in one click from the product structure, as opposed to days spent navigating and printing/exporting 1 by 1.
    I was referring the the unique part step files that need to be exported for mfg.
    But yes, bulk export of anything is a high priority
    @john_mcclary I totally missed the context, I just saw the photo of the pile of drawings and thinking of the pain you have to go through to print them all. That is unless you use multi-sheet of which I don't. 
    I do use multi sheet, mostly because of the export limitations.

Otherwise I'd likely use multi-tab again just so I could do detailing cheats where you duplicate a sheet and replace reference.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    mmm.  not pinned.  Holding breath....
    www.accuratepattern.com
    Yea, noticed it last night before bed... been checking in all morning... Not sure why they are un-pinning so early now. 
    edited January 2020
    To mess with you of course!
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Mission Accomplished
    Lolz
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
    edited January 2020
    Hopefully unpinned to make way for exploded views  ;). That would make me happy.  :)
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    But I just started using the assembly configurations + configured mates to do exploded views yesterday!
    But I just started using the assembly configurations + configured mates to do exploded views yesterday!
    I am holding off doing that in a project hoping it might be in the next release. If not, that's what I'll have to do.