Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - January 29th, 2020

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 33
edited February 2020 in New in Onshape
It's been a busy few weeks for our team here at Onshape. Last week we officially completed our move to the brand-new PTC headquarters in Boston's Seaport "Innovation District".

While closing our Cambridge office brought some sadness, we are excited for what the future holds, and already settling in to our new home. If you're in the area, please reach out and arrange a visit! We'd love to show you around.

Despite the move, we couldn't go three weeks without a release! Let's take a look at some of the new features. 

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

IN-PLACE RENAMING OF FEATURES

Renaming features, mates, parts, etc. no longer requires a separate dialog, making this process much easier!

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/zwb3mpcd8l

KEYS AND SHAFT KEYWAYS IN STANDARD CONTENT

You'll now find parallel and tapered shaft keys and keyways in the Onshape Standard Content Library. 

For a full listing of what's available, be sure to check out the updated Standard Content Appendix.

REPLACE BOM REFERENCE IN DRAWINGS

You can now replace a BOM from the sheets fly-out in an Onshape Drawing. Doing so automatically replaces any views that referenced that BOM.

PERFORMANCE: SECTION VIEWS AND INTERFERENCE DETECTION

You'll find greatly improved performance when creating section cuts, section views, and running interference detection on large part studios and assemblies. This is due to changes in the way these features are calculated in the cloud, and largely made based on feedback we received through support - so as always, THANK YOU for utilizing Onshape support! In some tested cases, we have seen regeneration up to 7 times faster than in previous releases.

IMPROVED CLARITY WHEN ONSHAPE SUPPORT EMPLOYEES ACCESS DOCUMENTS

Here at Onshape, we take the security of your data VERY seriously. As you know, nobody at Onshape can access your private data unless you explicitly allow them to.

With this release, it is now clearer to you when a member of the Onshape Support team is working within your document. 

As always, you will see the "Social Cue" showing the avatar of the individual at the top of the screen, on the tab itself, and in the tab manager. It now includes an immediately-apparent Onshape logo superimposed on top of the avatar. Additionally, hovering over the avatar will clearly list out the users' full name, and indicate that they are a member of Onshape Support.

Once again, Onshape support only has permission to access your documents (as shown above) if you explicitly give them permission. This is done via the "Share this document with Onshape support" checkbox while creating a support ticket. Remember, you can always revoke this access at any time as well by selecting the "Share" button within the document, and toggling the slider in the bottom left corner. 

For more information on support in Onshape, take a look at this reference.

PERFORMANCE: CONFIGURATION SWITCHING

Once again leveraging the power of the cloud, you'll find improved performance in regeneration time when working with assemblies utilizing configured parts. This will particularly be the the case when working with assemblies referencing many different configurations of parts at the same time. 

PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

REVISION TABLES

You can now create revision tables/blocks on your Onshape drawings. These will automatically update when a new revision is created using Onshape Release Management. Take a look at the short video below to see how you can get started using this highly-requested feature! 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/7qlu60mzfg

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Good stuff, always like to hear about performance increases. Now to put my money where your mouth is and try out some of my slower projects. :)

Like the rename inplace, it's a little easier to know where I'm typing rather than searching for that old dialogue box..

Cool idea with keys in standard content and active revision tables!
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Great building!   Name in place and performance improvements are welcome. 
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's great to see performance improvements and even more these new improvements in drawings
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited January 2020
    Name in-place is a great improvement, small change but will definitely improve the user experience and thank you for performance enhancements. I love just logging in and having all the new stuff available without reinstalling. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for the Revision Tables folks! Looking forward to saving some time with these tables.

EDIT:
    1. How can I change the starting Revision in the table to be 1 (my revision scheme is: parts / Assemblies use Letters (A, B, C...) and my drawings use numbers (1, 2, 3...). When I add a Revision table to a drawing that has already been released, it seems to adopt the already-in-use revision scheme, and so shows Numbers correctly. NOTE: when I add a new Revision Table to a new drawing, and then Release the drawing, if I change the Drawing Revision to 1 (from the default A) in the Release Candidate dialog - it seems to change the table correctly as part of the Release process.
    2. How can I change the date format? I prefer YYYY-MM-DD
    3. How can I change the header text? I don't need "Date Approved" or "Approver" - I'd like to save space and use "Date" and "By" instead
    4. The Revision Callouts don't seem to be working. The triangles are empty. I'll submit a support request.
    5. To get the table to use something other than your full name, you need to change your "nickname" to something shorter - this will populate the drawings with only your initials, for instance.
    Great start! This has been something I've been looking for for a long time.

romeo
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Revision tables just in time for our drawing template remodel! Thanks.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • chand_bashachand_basha Member Posts: 63 EDU
    Great to see Keys in the standard content, Improved Regeneration of section views, and Replacing BOM.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Congratulations on your new home, looks nice!

Renaming in place is good, doing it with key F2 would be even better!
    (or any programmable key, if you like it better - I will still use F2 since it's already common from windows and google products)
    //rami
  • fnxf_scewofnxf_scewo Member Posts: 12 PRO
    I am looking forward to use revision tables- and will incorporate them directly into our template. Yay :smile:
    Also I know someone in our company will be happy that the "issue with projected view not showing shaded images" is fixed. <3

• GuidoNADECGuidoNADEC Member Posts: 27 PRO
    The Revision Tables are good to have.
    3dcad said:
    Congratulations on your new home, looks nice!

(or any programmable key, if you like it better - I will still use F2 since it's already common from windows and google products)
    I agree, I still hit F2 most of the time before I shift+n

But I think they did that for compatibility. Same reason they went with right mouse button to orbit, to be compatable with laptop touch pads. F keys arnt on every laptop like they are on desktop keyboards. The chromebook my mother in law just picked up doesn't have them, and the macbook pro with that touchbar replaced those keys too didn't it?

While we're on the subject...

I still think esc should be used to unselect rather than spacebar.
  • timandrewstimandrews Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 18
    3dcad said:

You can use "Shift + n" to rename a selected item. You can even use it when you're in a feature dialog to rename the feature while you're creating it.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @timandrews
    Wow - I didn't realize you could use Shift+N during feature editing. That's fantastic! I'm regularly irritated that I have to click on the little pen to name a feature. This is a super tip. Thanks!
    Yea, it's good to study the keyboard shortcut list. I used to have a print out on my wall when I started out

https://cad.onshape.com/keyboard-shortcuts/keyboard-shortcuts-popout.html?locale=en-US
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    edited January 2020
    Love the design of the new Digs!  Great looking building.

These are nice changes! 

The only thing I would want differently on the Revisions block would be to be able to squeeze the spacing for the individual lines.
    That bar takes up way more space than I typically have on a drawing.
    While I'm commenting, I still want to put in a plug for creating a better Instances Tree structure in assemblies.  I really need to be able to put things in folders inside the tree to reduce the length of it.  Simply create a folder structure, and click on a box with a + sign to open up the folder.

Also, taking the Mate Features OUT of the Instances Tree is so critical to keeping the Instances Tree structure simplified and easier to navigate.
    I loathe having to mate stuff and having the stupid tree mechanism drop all the way to the bottom of the Mate Features, as if there's something I can do down there.  There isn't!

I don't agree with taking the bulk mate list OUT of the assembly, it does come in handy when purging a bunch of old broken mates that didn't get deleted or what-not. Just have it collapsed by default when other mate discovery methods come about.

Onshape is still lacking in mate management utilities.
    We need more and clearer methods of understanding mate structures. The best way I know is to click the part in the graphics area and have a nice isolated list of mates that are connected to the part.

SolidWorks dose this very well. There are a hand full of different ways to find and edit any mate. My favorite is their last improvement "mate breadcrumbs" (item 1 in the image below)
    this lets you see (and edit/delete) everything in the part tree (item 2 & 3) without needing to move your mouse and expand tree items.

It is my favorite because you can just touch a part, glance at the top, mouse over them and see a live selection in the graphics area.. making troubleshooting mates a breeze.

In Onshape,
    if it is a part (not assembly) then you can right click and show mates. Or show all mates.
    Or if you do want to see how the sub assembly is mated, you have to find the part(or parts) that have been mated in the top level assembly and right-click show mates on those, which also gives you the mates in the sub assembly to add to the confusion. I would like to see the mates at each assembly level in their own groups.
    (which the SolidWorks breadcrumbs does very very well)

There are IRs out there for this, I try and up vote them all
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10265/assembly-separate-instance-list-from-mate-feature-list

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10134/show-mates-under-each-part-in-assembly

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8799/select-mate-connectors-in-context-menu-assembly

• Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    As always, thank you Onshape team!

Every company should strive to be like you.
  • david_mcmahondavid_mcmahon Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    Don't see keys under ANSI inch as shown in the release notes. Am I missing something?

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Don't see keys under ANSI inch as shown in the release notes. Am I missing something?

Hi david_mcmahon,

For this release, we've only published keys for DIN.  We noticed last moment a bug with the ANSI keys which we decided needed to be fixed before publishing them.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Mitchell_MachelskiMitchell_Machelski Member Posts: 8 PRO
    I didn't see any keys either...
    As always, thank you Onshape team!

Every company should strive to be like you.
    Absolutely agree
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Great release performance enhancements are always appreciated, but waiting on a explode tool, is it coming or did it fall off the map?
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @wayne_sauder - yes still coming - but as always, its ready when it's ready and ...

Image result for not ready

:)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Thanks, Philip I'll try to patiently wait for an amazing feature. Thanks for an amazing product. 
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good update......but I have a fever.... and the only prescription is more sheet metal modeling and drafting enhancements. :)
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• albjerrealbjerre Member Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
    Always great with new updates. But we industrial designers need more modelling features. Especially 3D sketches are a must to be able to model complex surfaces properly.
  • john_hauckjohn_hauck Member Posts: 52 PRO
    Nice work!
  • 東_鈺東_鈺 Member Posts: 6
    I hope I can type in Chinese ...