Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Injection mold design

maciekmaciek OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
Hi,

I'm injection mold designer. I'm working on Solidworks, but I'd like to try Onshape - I like the idea of cloud. Now I have WD My Cloud network drive, it allows me to access files from anywhere, but it's working really bad. It crashes and suspend all the time, so I don't have access to my files when I'm not in the office. Additionally, when I'm out of office I have to download the file and then upload it. It's really annoying, but it's better than saving files on external drives. In short, I need cloud based software. I need it especially when I'm at CNC workshop and I have to talk with guys about mold details. Unfortunately Onshape capabilities are bit limited, so I can't design any mold in this app. Of course, you can make simple mold there, but I need professional tool like Solidworks.

I think all injection mold designers need these tools (maybe I forgot something):
- draft analysis,
- neutral line creator,
- parting surfaces creator,
- shut-off surfaces creator,
- automatic mold creator (core and cavity only),
- surface editor, which helps you when automatic mold creator doesn't work and you have to manually make core and cavity.

All these tools are available in Solidworks Standard.

Will you develop this application in the direction of injection molds?

Best regards,
Maciek

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @maciej_8  Thank you for your post. Yes, the benefits of the cloud were major drivers in the creation of Onshape. The ability to sign-in from any device and not only have your data there, but also to be able to edit it, are compelling reasons to use Onshape. Some companies that are wed (for now) to a particular CAD platform are using Onshape for design reviews (check out the 'follow' mode) as well as secure collaboration with suppliers using non-native CAD data. In addition, Onshape also provides a free/low-cost addition to a company's CAD capacity for variable work-load and variable work-force (eg interns).  Ok, all that good stuff aside, we have been in open beta for around 8 weeks at this point - NO we dont have all that stuff right now (i am smiling - thank you for thinking that what it took SolidWorks 8 to 10 years to write, that we could do in a little less than 2 years :)). Today, we have split and (planar) draft and some surfacing, but it will be a while before we have all the capabilities that you list. That said, please do use Onshape for all the reasons that make it special and know that we will add those industry-specific capabilities over time. 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice summary

and ... the more ways we find to use it for paid work, the quicker it will catch up ! 
  • maciekmaciek OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    It will be a while you said. You mean year or two?
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @maciej_8 -  some stuff will be sooner than that and some stuff may take that long. In the same way that we have some surfacing now and we will have more later. If you scroll back through the 'Whats New' posts on this forum and in the blog, you will see that we are adding capabilities at a prodigious rate. Not only is the functionality coming thick and fast, but it is available almost simultaneously on all platforms (browser, iOS and soon Android) - this is unheard of in the CAD industry. Moving forwards, i think you will find that more and more of your projects can be completed in Onshape and by using Onshape whenever you can, you will constantly be building up your experience and skill-set rather than waiting until someone tells you that 'it has everything you will ever need'. Please also feel free to reach out to the users and Mentors on this forum as they are very helpful and a great resource. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I have some of the same geometry creation needs as well - not all the time, but enough of the time.

@philip_thomas
    put it very well.  Keep learning and pushing and using as much as you can.  Give input when you can.  Be sociable here on the forums.  This platform is where the power lies, Full cloud CAD.  And keep in mind for the short term that we are comparing Onshape to CAD systems that have been in development for 20 years or more now.  It's remarkable how fast Onshape has gotten to this point.  The next 5 years are going to be really interesting.  You'll want to make sure you keep your hand to the till here.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @maciej_8
    To solve your first problem with that crappy network drive (I tried something similar in the past, it was crappy too) you can import native solid works files into Onshape and view them in CNC-shop. You can also modify with direct tools or just make comments for fixing back home.

With simple molds doable in Onshape I suggest you tip your shop about the software and save time & gasoline by working together with them in same workspace straight from your office.

You can always download your models back to solid works (without history) if Onshape ends up being short on some advanced modeling task.
    //rami
  • maciekmaciek OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    3dcad said:
    @maciej_8
    To solve your first problem with that crappy network drive (I tried something similar in the past, it was crappy too) you can import native solid works files into Onshape and view them in CNC-shop. You can also modify with direct tools or just make comments for fixing back home.
    I know, but it's half-measure way.

I wanted to buy MS Surface Pro 3 to work with Onshape, but it doesn't make sense for me if I can't do my job on it. I will wait for these mold tools and also for cheaper PC tablets. So there is nothing but wait and learn Onshape in the meantime ;)