Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Error when adding chamfer or fillet at the start of a threaded hole

Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 59 PRO
Has anyone else experienced an error when attempting to add a chamfer or fillet at the start of a threaded hole? (the thread being subtractively added, and the chamfer or fillet being added before sweeping the thread)
Tagged:

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    is your chamfer before the sketch that defines the helix also? that could cause a relation issue.

does the chamfer work if you roll back to it? (basically, is the chamfer failing or is the thread failing?)
  • Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 59 PRO
    edited March 2020
    The helix is not defined by a sketch - it's defined by the cylindrical surface of the hole. The chamfer does work if I roll back to cancel the thread sweep. Both the chamfer and the thread work alone. The chamfer appears to be causing the thread sweep to fail.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    You say the sweep is subtractivly added, I assume you mean you are sweeping a new part, then boolean subtracting it right?

if not, try that as an experiment. see if that helps
    By subtractively added, I mean that the sweep is in "Remove" mode, rather than "Add" mode in the sweep dialog.

I just tried sweeping the thread as a new part and then boolean subtracting it, and there was still an error.
    If I slightly increase the size of the hole ("Hole trim" in the screenshot below) after creating the helix and before subtractively sweeping the thread, the sweep does not fail because of a chamfer created before the sweep. This work around is fine for me but it still seems like the issue should not occur.