Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - March 31st, 2020

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 33
edited March 2020 in New in Onshape
With the current situation, we hope you all are staying safe and healthy. Times may be unpredictable, but we remain focused on bringing new improvements to our users.

Let's take a look at some of the improvements in this latest release of Onshape.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

ISOLATE IN PART STUDIOS

You can now use the "Isolate" feature in Part studios!

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/imnprhjsqe

BOM CROSS-HIGHLIGHT IMPROVEMENTS

You'll see improved cross-highlight capabilities in a bill of materials when selecting a part from the Instance list, or the modeling space. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/sp81ftsjq4

The BOM will even automatically scroll if the selected part is listed lower down (or higher up) in the BOM than you have displayed on the screen.

DRAWING VIEWS: PART STUDIO FILTER

With a new filter, it is now less likely that you accidentally create a drawing view of a Part Studio, when in most cases the intention is to create a view of the part.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/mi8qw8ujnx

SWITCH ANGLE OF PROJECTION ON DRAWING

A new option has been introduced allowing you to quickly switch between First and Third angle projection on an existing drawing you've created. It is available in the Drawing properties, under the Views tab.

This option should be set properly when creating your drawing templates, and all views created will be of the appropriate projection. However, if it is changed after drawing creation, all projected views will automatically update based on the selection, including their names in the Sheets flyout.

PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

OPTIONS WHEN REMOVING USERS FROM A COMPANY

When removing a user from a Company, you will now be presented with clear options allowing you to quickly revoke the user's access to all data within your organization. You can select to automatically remove them from any company-owned teams (and thereby revoke their access to any documents shared with those teams) as well as remove them from direct-shares of any documents or folders owned by the company.

RELEASE MANAGEMENT IMPROVEMENTS

CREATE RELEASE CANDIDATE FROM VERSION IN DOCUMENT

You can now create a Release candidate directly from an existing version in your current document.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/oilftw0p56

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

ADVANCED PART DESIGN SELF-PACED COURSE

A new course, Advanced Part Design, has been added to the Onshape Learning Center to help you learn advanced features such as variables and Mate connectors in part design, advanced sketching techniques, modeling with complex solid loft and sweep features, and tooling part workflows. This course is available to Standard, Professional, Enterprise, and Educational subscriptions.

EXPLODED VIEWS TECHNICAL BRIEFING

A new Technical Briefing is now available, discussing tips and tricks when working with Exploded views.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great 
    +1 for the Part Studio filter in the drawings view dialog
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Thank you Onshape team!
  • HuguesLessardWRIHuguesLessardWRI Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Nothing too fancy, but everything here will be very helpful. Thanks!
    My favorite is the ability to isolate in PS
    Hugues Lessard
    Ingénieur de produits / Product Engineer
    Waste Robotics Inc. / www.wasterobotic.com

• Sujan_PatelSujan_Patel Member Posts: 8 PRO
    edited March 2020

really someone requested this....

SWITCH ANGLE OF PROJECTION ON DRAWING....

The simple answer is to create proper templates. What a waste of resources by implementing this....I am clueless. Is this example of good customer service by implementing such features or bad customer service by ignoring other critical features.

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Thanks! nice set of improvements.  

This new course is excellent - Kudos to @KatieHuffman and team!

ADVANCED PART DESIGN SELF-PACED COURSE

www.accuratepattern.com
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    the BoM cross-reference behavior before this release always got to me and seeing that update is a huge relief to me. It makes the BoM a lot more useful. Thanks!
    Yes, this will make it much more usable, I've always thought it should cross-reference both ways. The BOM table in the assemblies is one of the best features in Onshape which makes so much better than other CAD packages, I love it but hasn't really had any upgrades since the initial release. Glad to see they working on it.  Hopefully, we'll see something done to make the column formatting more usable. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    edited March 2020
    Really someone requested this....
     The simple answer is to create and use proper templates when you begin drawings. What a waste of resources by implementing such feature.
    Is this example of a good customer service or poor customer service by ignoring implementation of other critical feature?
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thanks for the updates, always very welcome and so awesome we don't have to install anything, just log in as normal and get the latest version. 

Isolate looks good, but I have to admit I was really hoping it would highlight which features on the tree were used to make the part or even truncate the tree down the relevant features. 
    edited March 2020
     The simple answer is to create and use proper templates when you begin drawings. What a waste of resources by implementing such feature.
    Is this example of a good customer service or poor customer service by ignoring implementation of other critical feature?
    Two "Vote Down"....11 users are online and 9 are Onshape support engineers.   :wink:
    edited March 2020

really someone requested this....

The simple answer is to create proper templates. What a waste of resources by implementing this....I am clueless. Is this example of good customer service by implementing such features or bad customer service by ignoring other critical features.

It is GREAT customer service, they will sprinkle a little "not-so-critical" stuff in-between some other important updates.
    It is far better than just ignoring the little guy.

This happened to me at least 3 times at my current job.
    Where our customer changed their drawing standards from 3rd to 1st angle, then we had to go through the 100s of drawing sheets and fix everything.
    Just to have them buy another (almost) duplicate system the very next year and abandoned the 1st angle projection. So we had to update the drawings back to 3rd  projection during the next release (because naturally the original draft was so far out of date at that point of the revisions to be worth reusing).

in summary, Don't hate on a feature just because YOU won't use it.
    I'm glad Onshape now has this option. It is pretty basic really, and doesn't add bloat.

(I voted you down by the way, because their customer service will bend over backwards and work past midnight to fix your documents, and you bash them for giving a simple quality of life improvement...congrats that is the 2nd downvote i gave on these forums) 
    A customer changes standard "3" times and your company updated 100s drawings.  ;) And Onshape bought that story and they work past midnight to fix document.
  • Mike_VolpeMike_Volpe Member Posts: 2

Support Team, first of all thank you so much for your continued dedicated efforts to improve Onshape functionality, especially in this stressful and trying time we are living in right now. 
    I do not mean to sound ungrateful, etc., but I have to ask...why are you more concerned with creating a dropdown menu for switching between First and Third Angle Projection in a drawing, when there are more significant improvements that can be done (improvements i've even submitted quite a while ago)? 
    Such as:
     - retaining Parent-Child alignment between views when utilizing the 'Break View' command
     - allowing subsequent Section Views to be created from a previous Section View
     - adding View labels (i.e. A-A) and view direction arrow lines to Auxiliary projection views
     - allowing for tolerance edits to be made to a Chamfer callout or a Hole callout

These are a few good examples of much more significant changes you could be working on to improve your product, things i'm sure many other users would appreciate. I'm just asking for re-evaluation of your priorities.
    (If I wanted to create my drawing in First Angle projection, I can simply just slide the projected child view to the other side of the page, it's not a big deal)

Thank you again

Title block has projection angle and year of ASME standard.  When standards change, old drawings are not updated to new standards unless until there is a compelling reason. If a company changes standard left and right, then the company has serious fundamental problems. And if they change angle of projection then it has some really really SERIOUS problem and it impacts Onshape and us.
    Two "Vote Down"....11 users are online and 9 are Onshape support engineers.   :wink:
    Hey, Sorry but I voted you down too and I am not an Onshape engineer. I voted down because I can absolutely see the benefit of this feature, it could be a huge time saver if I have to change a set of drawings from one standard to another and I am not sure it would have been a be deal to implement. 
    Title block has projection angle and year of ASME standard.  When standards change, old drawings are not updated to new standards unless until there is a compelling reason. If a company changes standard left and right, then the company has serious fundamental problems. And if they change angle of projection then it has some really really SERIOUS problem and it impacts Onshape and us.
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    I like to see in the change log that this update provided a lot of fixes! Keep up the good work and stay safe and healthy too! 
    Hey, Sorry but I voted you down too and I am not an Onshape engineer. I voted down because I can absolutely see the benefit of this feature, it could be a huge time saver if I have to change a set of drawings from one standard to another and I am not sure it would have been a be deal to implement. 
    Good point. I'd have to look at the workflows, I am a bit fuzz on how this all works now and this area has been updated a fair bit over the last few years but as you say if set up correctly upfront it should never be an issue but I was thinking of a scenario where it may be useful for projects where title blocks have to be changed as well as drawing standards and rather than redrawing everything, drawings could be branched and moved to a new doc then redone with another company's standard and title block but all drawing link back to the original parts/assemblies, this may or may not have already been possible. 
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU

[...]

Good point. I'd have to look at the workflows, I am a bit fuzz on how this all works now and this area has been updated a fair bit over the last few years but as you say if set up correctly upfront it should never be an issue but I was thinking of a scenario where it may be useful for projects where title blocks have to be changed as well as drawing standards and rather than redrawing everything, drawings could be branched and moved to a new doc then redone with another company's standard and title block but all drawing link back to the original parts/assemblies, this may or may not have already been possible.
    This would also be useful if a template is used that has the wrong angle of projection
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • 東_鈺東_鈺 Member Posts: 6
    Hope you can input chinese on the drawing
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    STAY SAFE. BE KIND
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Hey! Isolate in Part Studio works very nicely - it's easy to select elements only of the parts that are showing - which is what isolate really should do!

(I like this because it visually looks like editing In Context, but selections are very hard to get right when working In Context)....this....just works.

Nice updates folks!
    Romeo 
  • Ivan_DeetlefsIvan_Deetlefs Member Posts: 23 PRO
    Some high value improvements here, especially BOM CROSS-HIGHLIGHT IMPROVEMENTS. The period improvements without the need for a software update makes Onshape a pleasure to work with.
  • Mike_VolpeMike_Volpe Member Posts: 2
    john mcclary, i've been trying to request drawing feature improvements for a long time, things much more significant than 1st Angle projection. I feel like i'm being ignored. I'd like to list some examples but everytime i try to post, it doesn't get published here. I think my content is being selectively disapproved. We should be able to give constructive criticism, not just ego stroking.
  • Piotr_Smektała_VBPiotr_Smektała_VB Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to using the "revision from version" feature. There have definitely been times where I was looking for that exact thing. 

One thing that has bugged me, is checking the history of a document before release and seeing several dozen "hide/unhide" or workspace update type changes that don't affect geometry, making me hunt around to verify that the model geometry hasn't changed before a release. Now, I know I can create versions I'm happy with and just go back to release those as appropriate.