Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can easily locate the mate feature

Alex_Huang006Alex_Huang006 Member Posts: 12 PRO
In the assembly, we create mate features for assembly.  When I want to edit the mate relation for one of the parts, I select it in the part trees. But we have no idea which mate feature is relevant to this part, because no mate feature is highlighted or selected meanwhile.  (See below pic). 
The logic here is that we have to check the mate features (i.g.  "Fastened 1, ...) to see which part is related.  What if I have big assembly with 100+ mate features, I have to check the mate one by one to look for the expected part to edit ? 

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Alex_Huang006Alex_Huang006 Member Posts: 12 PRO
    In this way, will show all mates related to the selected instance, including all child and parent of this instance. But in fact, what I want is only to redefine the assembly of this selected part to its parent. So I still can not accurately get the mate, I need to check which mate is the one. 
    The correct logic should be "right-click" of the instance to get the "redefine" for assembly update.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi @Alex_Huang006 - it's not ideal, but the way to do this now is to right-click the part and select "Show mates". The mate will then be shown on screen and in the instance list.
    For sub-assemblies, you then have to expand the sub assy tree and select hide and mates so only the top level are shown which is very time-consuming. This is a very regular process I go through when fixing assembly mates and be great if it could be done with one click. @malay_kumar is this something that could be implemented? 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977