Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What is the actual URL of a public project ?

matthieu_2matthieu_2 Member Posts: 4
Hi,

I just cannot find how to correctly share the link to a public project I have created. Every time I gave the one I have in my browser people told me the link I have given lead to a 404 error. 

So how can I get this link ?

Thanks,

Matthieu
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Hmmm ... AFAIK, the URL you see at the top in your browser when you've got the document open should work, provided the person trying to open it has an Onshape CAD account (either free or paid)

It has certainly worked for me
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    You could try sharing it with them explicitly, by specifying their email address when you "Share" - Onshape will send them an email with a link, and, if needed, an invitation to register.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited June 2015
    The url is in the address bar:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a56dd4152b7e4ccf91212d7b/w/42364f500bd242359c0b5ce4/e/fc516cd7f7c14abebdf846c0

But that's not everything. When you give this to your friend and he enters it into a browser, the server looks to see if he's eligible. Just because you can see it doesn't mean he'll see it. OS sets cookies on your computer and knows who you are. The cookies time out or cancel when you close the tab. If your friend doesn't have a cookie set, then he can't see it. Public means all OS registered people not any one in the world.

If no OS cookies, then OS should ask user to register.
    If OS user cookie set, then OS should ask the user to login.
    If OS session is set (by a cookie), then OS will display the url and contents.

Maybe I'm little wrong, but I'm mostly right.

Now if your friend is working through a proxy server or his IT guy is blocking this url. It won't work.

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited June 2015
    Thanks Lou, I think we all would like to have our latest work spinning around on the front page of our websites. Every time you make a change, your website updates. That'll be cool.

I think Andrew says it best, if you want to invite some one to OS, share your document with them. It's the fastest way to get someone involved.

• matthieu_2matthieu_2 Member Posts: 4
    I think Andrew says it best, if you want to invite some one to OS, share your document with them. It's the fastest way to get someone involved.

I do open hardware project, I share my document with everyone ... 

Until now, I copy the url address bar but people with OS account told me it was not working. Maybe it was an error from their side.

Thanks for you answer I will keep up to date if I have still trouble

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited June 2015
    @matthieu_2 ;
    Please remember that you can't use RMB on document list for copying public link, you need to actually open model to get correct link in your address bar.  

Link from document list:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d29ff8e74a0f49809e533f48/w/48fedb2064cc4f30a27ee6e8

Link after opened model:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d29ff8e74a0f49809e533f48/w/48fedb2064cc4f30a27ee6e8/e/d2225c9e50db4df088eb880d

Sometimes it would be nice to copy public link from document list but it is also good that you a forced to see what you are linking to.. 

EDIT: Inaccurate / old information striked  after further testing..
    //rami
    Can someone confirm if both links of my previous post work?

I came back to test if things are changed and now it seems that both are working (at least for me, but don't know if it's because of cookies/cache)
    //rami
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    3dcad said:
    Can someone confirm if both links of my previous post work?

I came back to test if things are changed and now it seems that both are working (at least for me, but don't know if it's because of cookies/cache)
    Yes, they both work.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    @jakeramsley
    Did you change something on this matter? I remember clearly that links didn't work if took with RMB (copy link address) from Document list and paste into forum.
    //rami
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    3dcad said:
    @jakeramsley
    Did you change something on this matter? I remember clearly that links didn't work if took with RMB (copy link address) from Document list and paste into forum.
    No, this is how it is supposed to work.  The first link you posted references which document on which branch to look at it.  The second link you posted references which document on which branch with which tab to look at it.  If a tab isn't specified, we go to the first one of the document.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com