Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

[Updated] Point pattern custom feature

TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
Some time ago @cody_armstrong put together a great Point pattern custom feature. With the passing of a couple of years and nearly 1000 FeatureScript updates, today I published V2.0. Add to your toolbar:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9fca78cb66a0bc83e359eb3e/v/401953fe6e5330bb77bf28ef/e/7052b96c07018ad97bbadbf9

Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    @TimRice
    Thanks for the update.

It seems that the orientation of the patterned parts is not affected by the locating points or MCs (the patterned bodies maintain their orientation). I'd like to be able to drive the orientation of the resulting patterned bodies with the orientation of the target Mate Connectors. 

Do you think that would be possible?
  • Options
    @romeograham

Yes that should be doable. I will keep in mind for V2.1!
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    @TimRice
    Thanks for the update.

It seems that the orientation of the patterned parts is not affected by the locating points or MCs (the patterned bodies maintain their orientation). I'd like to be able to drive the orientation of the resulting patterned bodies with the orientation of the target Mate Connectors. 

Do you think that would be possible?
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov made a feature called Transform Pattern that can drive the orientation that way and I use it a lot.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    Thanks @Evan_Reese - I (of course) have that FS but didn't realize that capability. Glad to be reminded!
  • Options
    Thanks @Evan_Reese - I (of course) have that FS but didn't realize that capability. Glad to be reminded!
    Haha, I’ve done that a lot too. Sitting on the feature I needed while wishing it existed. If only there were some way to tag and organize all of the custom features in my toolbar.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TimRice, what exactly got updated? The UI looks a little different, but I think all the same elements are there. Is it the Merge All option that was added?
  • Options
    @mahir
    Most of the actual code was replaced with the more recent common code that drives our other pattern features. Face and Feature pattern types are also supported now.
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thanks
  • Options
    Haha, I’ve done that a lot too. Sitting on the feature I needed while wishing it existed. If only there were some way to tag and organize all of the custom features in my toolbar.
    @Evan_Reese
    You can! You just have to make sure that the custom feature toolbar isn't in a dropdown when you are wanting to move a FeatureScript out of it (I generally have to zoom out to ~66% to get it out of a dropdown)
    Thanks! Didn't realize that. I'll have to play with it not on a laptop. I had to zoom out to 33%. Just using control-c and typing the names is good as long as I know what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Evan_Reese said:
    [...] I had to zoom out to 33%. [...]
    How many custom features do you have?!
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    This point pattern was very useful for patterning holes with modeled threads and an extra clearance for 3D printing (patterning a boolean with offset all faces checked)! It's a fantastic custom feature.

Also, @MBartlett21I had to zoom out to 25% :D I have 86 added to my toolbar. 
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev