Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet metal cone

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
We make our cones on a press brake with triangular bends.

Here is the work around I did to achieve a sheet metal cone in Onshape with a flat pattern.

To make it smoother just add more sides to the polygon sketches.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b61553ca7c0d34c686ac170f/w/29eed6f7cd27da738910e958/e/30bef0d598165d2813c5e1f0

Would like to see how other Onshape sheet metal users achieve this shape.

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• barry_chisholmbarry_chisholm Member Posts: 1
    Bryan, just trying to work out how you out the split in the loft surface.  Bit of a newbie to this so any help would be appreciated.  
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how I did it:

I first offset a plan to establish the height of the cone. I then made a multi sided polygon (60 sided) on each plane. Each polygon had a different diameter. On one of the segments of the polygon I put about a .010in split down the middle. Make sure you split the same segment on each polygon for the loft to generate correctly. I lofted the 2 polygons to create the cone shape. After creating the loft surface I then used the sheet metal command to convert the loft to sheet metal solid. It will create a part for each polygon segment. Use the add bend command to add bends where each segment connect. 

Hope this helps
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign