Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cannot reject cookies and log in to work

tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in General
Dear Onshape,
My data is mine. I own it. I'm not cool with you installing cookies on my machine. I do not want to be tracked. I do not want to be served personalized experiences. I just want to work, in privacy, and in control of this one thing that is most decidedly mine---my data, which the possessive pronoun suggests belongs to me.
That includes the cookies you compel me to accept in order to log in and work. Is this legal? it shouldn't be. In fact, it's moves like this that lead to changes in legislation to prevent moves like this.
But maybe I'm wrong. So please explain how does one log into Onshape to work while still exercising their right to not be tracked? Excuse me if I'm irked, but I'd like to know. I like my rights respected. Don't you? Compelling us to accept cookies just to work is right next door to forcing us to forfeit our right to privacy.

If you can't tell from the image above, the cookie notice blocks the log in button and there is only one choice---Accept. What am I supposed to do---pretend I don't clearly see what's going on here? Not cool.

Comments

• Options
    tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't let a mechanic rummage through my car in exchange for a free oil change. I wouldn't let a store clerk rummage through my groceries in exchange for a coupon. I wouldn't let a housekeeper skim through the papers in my house in exchange for a free cleaning.

Some things are mine, always, and nobody else's. If you're casual about your data and identity, that's your prerogative. I'm not, and most people are not, which is why we're seeing legislation requiring websites to tell you they're collecting your data.

I appreciate access to Onshape. I do. But my data is to be controlled by me. If you want it, you have to ask me first. And by ask, I mean to give me the option to accept or to decline---not just the option to accept, and oops, we forgot about the decline.

So to recap---saving me money on software does not give you the right to rummage through my data without my consent, and that consent means nothing if I do not have the option to decline, since then I am no longer in control of the option---you are.