Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Import part (SLDPRT) and boolean it with an OS part?

laird_broadfieldlaird_broadfield Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
I'm making my new part in OS, but what I need to do at present is to import a legacy part, and use the existing part in a boolean subtract on the new part.

(I've searched several importing threads, and watched the imported data webinar.)

I've successfully imported the SLDPRT -- but when I do so, I've got the SLDPRT in one studio, and the target part in another.

How can I get the imported part and the target part together so I can boolean (and then work further on the OS-originated part)?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    At this time the simplest solution I can think of is to insert both parts into an assembly and export the assembly as a parasolid/step then import it with the flatten option checked. You should have a part studio with both parts in it.
  • Options
    3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    nick_foleynick_foley Member Posts: 1
    Also going to bump this. It is a very important feature for our day-to-day modeling and would be critical for us if we wanted to move our existing CAD data to Onshape