Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Problem with the mass of my paperclip in the sweep exercise, my mass does not come close.

jack_aiellojack_aiello Member Posts: 12 EDU
Hi Support Community,

My paperclip mass doesn't come close to the correct value in the Sweep exercise.  I don' t know how to troubleshoot the problem.  I took a second look at the geometry and material density and it looks correct to me. My paperclip has a mass of 28.7g while the correct answer is 26.05 g.   Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this or more specifically, on what I need to change to fix it?
Thanks,

Jack

Link to my file. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/24f7373c7309c7e18d4a240b/w/8557984ea88306b2c0daf3c2/e/e38f45495a8a82b0fa601ae4
Tagged:

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    For a start, your paperclip looks nothing like the one in the exercise - check your path sketch.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    Your path sketch is incorrect- look at Step 3 in the directions- that should help.
  • jack_aiellojack_aiello Member Posts: 12 EDU
    Thank you Neil Cooke and Katie Huffman for your help. 
    I didn't see any errors in the dimension of my geometry, but I took your advice and redid the sketch path for the sweep anyway. I paid careful attention to the location of the origin this time and it seemed to solve the problem with the error in mass. All my dimensions in the sweep path seemed to check out with the exercise directions prior to asking for help. There probably was an error that I just didn't see. It is always helpful to have another pair of eyes to find a mistake and now my answer matches exactly. Again, thank you both for your help. I am feeling a bit more confident with transitioning to Onshape. 

Jack

• KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    @jack_aiello your origin location was what was causing the issue before (not your dimensions)- since it didn't match the exercise directions, your path was a little longer than the example, based on how the rest of the path was constrained- which would cause the mass difference.