Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sectiion Views

Can I save an image of a section view within the part studio?

Best Answer

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    you can take a screen shot of your view, then upload that image to Onshape.
    From there you can insert the image into a partstudio on a sketch.

Will  that work for you?
  • jack_o_toole866jack_o_toole866 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your response.
    I've taken a screen shot of the section view I want to use. It uploads to to a new tab in the document I'm working on. I'd like to use it in the first sheet of a set of drawings for the project. Is that possible?
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    steve_shubin - I made a copy of your document. In the part studio, I was unable to show more than one dimension at a time; even then it was greyed out . How did you accomplish doing so? - Scotty
    Steve,
      I've managed to import a screenshot, it shows up in its own document tab, how to I bring that into  a drawing?
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I’m using the SHOW DIMENSIONS function on numerous sketches SIMULTANEOUSLY.
    To do this you have to use the MOBILE version of Onshape. It works on my iPhone.

It DOES NOT work on the desktop / browser version of Onshape. At least it doesn’t work on my MacBook Pro. The browser version will only let you use SHOW DIMENSIONS on one sketch at a time

edited July 2020
    edited July 2020
    @jack_o_toole866

I made a better GIF. Take a look at the post above .

The quality on the first one was very poor

edited July 2020
    @robert_scott_jr_

Hi Robert

I also tweaked the photo directly after doing the screen capture and before importing it back into the Onshape document.

Here’s why

First off — the dimensions displayed are from the latter sketches in the features list.

In order to get most or all of those dimensions UPFRONT, that is, on the foreside of the part and not behind or under the part, I had to use DRIVEN dimensions.

When I made those latter sketches, I was using the USE tool to select elements (line segments) on the front side of the part. That’s why you see some thickened or darker lines.

Those lines that I was selecting with the USE tool, we’re from previous dimensioned sketches — DRIVING sketches. So when you apply dimensions to these lines made with the USE tool, you end up with DRIVEN dimensions.

Well, driven dimensions are light gray.

So in order to make those dimensions look black instead of gray, I had to bring them into the photo editor and adjust things like brilliance and contrast and that kind of stuff to make them look like regular black type. Only takes a few seconds to do

Once I finished tweaking the image, then I imported it back into the Onshape document

Thanks Steve, my problem is solved.

@jack_o_toole866

It was my pleasure Jack
    I’m glad to hear the problem is gone

@robert_scott_jr_

Displaying SHOW DIMENSIONS for numerous sketches simultaneously on mobile Onshape