Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - July 15th, 2020

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited July 2020 in New in Onshape
 It's July already, and we are here again with another update! This update includes a highly-requested new feature as well as several improvements in different areas of Onshape. Let's get started.

CATEGORIES

You can now manage your properties with Categories in Onshape Professional and Enterprise. This new functionality allows you to efficiently display properties depending on the category they belong to.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/5oej4iz8mr

FLIP NORMAL WHEN CREATING PLANES

You can now flip the normal direction of a construction plane.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/nodt2gzz82

DRAFT IMPROVEMENTS

Implied and Explicit Mate Connectors can now be used as the reference for a Neutral plane when creating draft.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/phqsh52kiz

APPEARANCE IMPROVEMENTS

You can now assign appearances to features in a Part Studio. This simplifies the process of applying appearances and allows them to update parametrically with the features.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/oavkucf851

MEASURE IMPROVEMENTS

You will see new icons for Measure and Mass Properties at all times in the bottom right corner of a Part Studio or Assembly. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6dk548hsk6

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

You will find two new permissions dashboards when viewing analytics in Onshape Enterprise. These were created to give you better insight into how data is being shared in your company.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• bo_pollettbo_pollett Member, csevp Posts: 2 PRO
    Flip Normal on planes has been a long time coming. Thank you! Thank you!  <3
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    very nice group of improvements!  All of them are very useful right away.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Very nice. Appearance by feature will be very much used!
    //rami
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Categories looks promising :) I was hoping to be able to filter all those unused fields :)
    Feature Color: excellent!
    Flip Plane Normal: sweet! this will come in handy when tracing reference images

I like how the new measure window is a pop-out like the mass properties window.
    This will be nice, I used to need to select a solid body to open the mass properties tool, when checking a bunch of individual masses. It's nice to be able to open it up before hand in those situations.
     just need to be able to get the weight property to populate on drawings, this is a very tedious task at the moment!
    agreed, əven with featurescript
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Nice work! looking forward to trying these new features. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • rafael_gomez_sjobergrafael_gomez_sjoberg Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Great new features, especially the feature color and the flip plane normal. Thank you!!!
  • danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Great features. I really like how new improvements are always coming out and are so improving the program. Thank you.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Categories are great!!
    Nice work
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • muhammed_bilgimuhammed_bilgi Member Posts: 1
    Thank you! Please add next a mirroring feature in assemblys. 
  • Ivan_DeetlefsIvan_Deetlefs Member Posts: 23 PRO
    I've been picking up bugs since new release. Most concerning, however, is that my autofields aren't updating. I have triple checked that reference data is correct and selected correctly when referenced. Anyone had this same problem?
    What do you mean autofields?

• Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    "Categories looks promising"
    Agreed. I look forward to seeing how these can tie into other aspects of filters and PN.

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español
    https://youtu.be/aqSnmRcJo0w
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • alex_pitt472alex_pitt472 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Nice improvements! Thank you! 
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    I flippin' love Onshape :) Y'all's updates are always so immediately helpful (sometimes I didn't even know I wanted these features!)
    Thank you Onshape team! These are great!
  • ladislav_pochopladislav_pochop Member, HON-TS Posts: 6 PRO
    Nice, thank you :) very appreciate possibility to assign appearances to features 👍
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Love the measurement update. The drag out feature is great for screenshots
  • kevin_elliottkevin_elliott Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Love the add appearance to features, but I would also like to be able to Add Appearance to a face/part in an assembly with the appearance only applying to that assembly. In this way I can have standard parts colour coded within the assembly for their different uses (ports, etc).
    Love the add appearance to features, but I would also like to be able to Add Appearance to a face/part in an assembly with the appearance only applying to that assembly. In this way I can have standard parts colour coded within the assembly for their different uses (ports, etc).
    Yes, I also want this. That way I can simulate painting of an assembly and not have to drive it from the part studio.
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Yes, I also want this. That way I can simulate painting of an assembly and not have to drive it from the part studio.
    This would be helpful to me for preparing renderings. I would use assembly appearance settings for export to .gltf for rendering without the tedious process of edit in context or open linked document.
    edited July 2020
    Theo_R said:
    This would be helpful to me for preparing renderings. I would use assembly appearance settings for export to .gltf for rendering without the tedious process of edit in context or open linked document.
    Theo, you can use the BOM to change appearance, just add the appearance column click, this may help you. This works great until your parts have been released or changed to rev, then I 'd like to be overridden at the assembly level. 
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    Thank you! Please add next a mirroring feature in assemblys. 
    Do you need the parts actually mirrored, or just inserted a second time? I have used linear pattern when I needed an assembly (or parts) a second time.
    A mirror is different than a pattern. It implies the part is also opposite in shape. This is something that has been requested in assemblies for a while. But comming up with a clever way to do it in Onshape would be interesting to see
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    A mirror is different than a pattern. It implies the part is also opposite in shape. This is something that has been requested in assemblies for a while. But comming up with a clever way to do it in Onshape would be interesting to see
    Not always. They may be the same parts assembled on the other side but rotated 180 degrees. SolidWorks does a good job but still falls short in many ways. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    Not always. They may be the same parts assembled on the other side but rotated 180 degrees. SolidWorks does a good job but still falls short in many ways. 
    I've just had this case recently. and used assembly circular pattern to much success. If I really need mirrored parts I make them in the part studio.
    fnxf said:
    NeilCooke said:
    I've just had this case recently. and used assembly circular pattern to much success. If I really need mirrored parts I make them in the part studio.
    Typically I would also use a circular patter for this, mostly because of the lack of mirror, and lack of mirror options (as @NeilCooke pointed out) SW gives you 4 options per part in your mirror. But that usually ends up as a over complicated mess. Just recently I tried to mirror in assembly in SW and it was still missing a rotation/mirror option for 2 of the 8 parts. So it was a half and half solution there as well. Hopefully Onshape makes this a clean and simple solution.

But I don't see it happening until you can have two way communication with an assembly without using in-context. Right now we only have a one way street.