Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I want to help make custom feature icons

2»

Comments

• Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    These are great @Evan_Reese.  I really wish more feature scripts included icons.  I made a few of my own icons and it's so nice to see in the list of scripts or in the Features stack.

• aidan_moncelleaidan_moncelle Member Posts: 2
    @Evan_Reese I never knew you were the one behind so many of these beautiful icons. Bravo!

The FRC community has a lot of Onshape users who have written some great FRC-specific and general purpose Featurescripts in need of icons, such as the ones by Julia Schatz that you can find here. While I have not written any myself, I'm sure the owners and users would be grateful if you care to lend your artistic talent.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @Marc_Miller
    I don't know why it makes such a big difference for me to have them, but it does. For some of the ones where I haven't been able to reach the feature author to add it (especially ones that aren't actively being updated), I'm considering just copying it so I can add it.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    @Evan_Reese I never knew you were the one behind so many of these beautiful icons. Bravo!

The FRC community has a lot of Onshape users who have written some great FRC-specific and general purpose Featurescripts in need of icons, such as the ones by Julia Schatz that you can find here. While I have not written any myself, I'm sure the owners and users would be grateful if you care to lend your artistic talent.
    Thanks! I've slowed down on these to focus on other projects, like some custom features of my own, but It's not so tricky to make icons and I hope other people keep it up. I'm using Affinity Designer for them, which is great for vector illustrations and is like $30-40. People could also just use Google Slides for free and probably a large number of other things to make .svg files.

Julia's features are awesome btw!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I've tried to make some in inkscape, but art tools are foreign to me, I always get stuck trying to be pixel perfect
    @john_mcclary
    I used to try to control everything to be exactly mathematically perfect, but I've loosened up a bit over time (for better of worse). Now I'm more of a mind for icons that if it looks right, it is right. It's faster anyway. Maybe if icon-making was my day job I'd get more focused on consistency.
  • Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    @Evan_Reese Yes! I quickly learned I had to throw out my idea of how I thought I should make an icon (precise proportions, details, shading) and just design it so it looked "right".  They are so darn small on the screen that it's all about completely simplifying.  And then simplifying that again, and maybe even a bit more.  Oh, and just black, white, and one gray.  :) 
    @Evan_Reese Yes! I quickly learned I had to throw out my idea of how I thought I should make an icon (precise proportions, details, shading) and just design it so it looked "right".  They are so darn small on the screen that it's all about completely simplifying.  And then simplifying that again, and maybe even a bit more.  Oh, and just black, white, and one gray.  :) 
    lol exactly! take a look at the first Measure Value icon I did vs the final.

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evan_Reese said:

lol exactly! take a look at the first Measure Value icon I did vs the final.

Yeah, nobody's going to see that tiny little dial  :D
  • maximilian_schommermaximilian_schommer Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Thanks @Evan_Reese for the great icons! I updated Surface Pattern, Cycloidal Drive, Sculpt Surface and Ray Tracer!
    Thanks @Evan_Reese for the great icons! I updated Surface Pattern, Cycloidal Drive, Sculpt Surface and Ray Tracer!
    awesome! thanks for the great features. I used Ray Tracer recently on a project and it gave me some peace of mind about my design.
    @aidan_moncelle
    I said I wasn't going to do it, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I've added these feature icons to the public icons doc. Will you make sure Julia finds them? 

I'm also not in the robotics world really, and don't often work with these kinds of spacers and shafts so let me know if the icons don't really capture what you're using them for. 

• aidan_moncelleaidan_moncelle Member Posts: 2
    @aidan_moncelle
    I said I wasn't going to do it, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I've added these feature icons to the public icons doc. Will you make sure Julia finds them? 

I'm also not in the robotics world really, and don't often work with these kinds of spacers and shafts so let me know if the icons don't really capture what you're using them for. 

@Evan_Reese thanks for giving it a go! I can't speak for others but I personally think these look phenomenal and I have shared them with Julia.

I would say the spacer and shaft icons accurately convey how the featurescripts are used, but they do seem pretty easy to confuse. Maybe the spacer could be more like a classic thin, round standoff?
    @aidan_moncelle

@Evan_Reese thanks for giving it a go! I can't speak for others but I personally think these look phenomenal and I have shared them with Julia.

I would say the spacer and shaft icons accurately convey how the featurescripts are used, but they do seem pretty easy to confuse. Maybe the spacer could be more like a classic thin, round standoff?
    I made it round to begin with but it looked like a toilet paper feature, more than a standoff feature. But I agree they are too similar. I'll take another look.
  • juliaschatzjuliaschatz Member, Developers Posts: 8 EDU
    @Evan_Reese These are amazing, thank you! I've been doing some myself but your style is unparalleled. Please let me know if you find time to make more or make the change to the Spacer icon that Aidan recommended as the round spacer might be less easy to confuse.
    @Evan_Reese These are amazing, thank you! I've been doing some myself but your style is unparalleled. Please let me know if you find time to make more or make the change to the Spacer icon that Aidan recommended as the round spacer might be less easy to confuse.
    I would say it's neither "my style" nor "unparalleled" since I'm just trying to copy Onshape's look, but thanks for the kind words! here is a round spacer icon.

Great work on the features, by the way!