Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Driving the design by a table

rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
Hi, so far I have been creating a feature script defining global variables say lx, ly lz to use as driving dimensions.
I wonder if configurations could be useful to create a more userfriendy way for a 3rd user to insert custom dimensions.
Basically a table in this format:
Name    |   Value
-----------------------
lx           |   12
ly           |   23
lz           |   42

where the numbers could be directly editable.

I can not find out how to setup configurations to do that if possible.
Any help appreciated

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @rune_thorsen229 - Are you trying to create pre-defined sets of lx, ly, and lz such that the user can select a configuration and all three options will update simultaneously?

The easiest approach would be to just create three variables for lx, ly, and lz and each one can be updated independently. If, you then want to save specific combinations of values for quick regeneration, you can create a list driven configuration. Then, for each list item, you can set appropriate values of lx, ly, and lz.

In the example below, the three variables control the length of the sides of the block. The three configurations change the values of the variables.

NOTE: This only works within a single part studio. If you really need a configuration table for your "global" variables to drive multiple part studios, I'm not sure there's a way to do that.

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    You would also consider using the configuration variable instead of the list type

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • paul_rippingalepaul_rippingale Member Posts: 1 EDU
    https://learn.onshape.com/learn/video/advanced-configurations
    This webinar explains it fully, I've repeat watched this several times, made notes and I had a go which came out successful, very pleased with myself.
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Thanks paul_rippingale, at minute 38 thats exactly what I wanted. By the way, what is the use of TEXT variable? I cant seem to use it withing the Part Studios > Sketch Tools > Text