Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Feature UI: 2 booleans on a row?

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
I have this:

But I want this:

DISPLAY_SHORT isn't doing it.
Is this possible?
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    edited August 2020
    makes sense. Gotta prevent people like me from creating monstrous feature UIs  :D
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    Interestingly, for Blender's 2.8 UI redesign, they organized all options/panels into a single column. They found that it's faster to find something by just scanning up and down (with labels on one side and values on the other) while having to scroll a longer distance rather than searching through a more dense/packed UI with less scrolling. It's a bit different from Onshape's system, but it's interesting to see the reasoning behind the choices for the redesigned UI. Here's a WIP update from the developers a couple years back, it's all implemented now:
    https://youtu.be/_WBqTeLcsxU
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @alnis_smidchens
    That's a great reference for me and lots of good ideas in there (Admittedly, I skimmed the video). I actually just last night was working on this feature UI (it's a long one) and ended up converting most of it to this single-column style to favor clarity over brevity, so this video is a nicely-timed confirmation of that decision. Thanks!