Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why is not possible to shell this part ?

Hello, 

I would like to shell this part : https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fae4112140c20f5304977118/w/26d5455114e8c54e14cef249/e/3b6e1a584d69c36b4e6e17ad

I succesfully shelled a very similar part before : https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ffdaf56f802233253a8ae9e6

I am a hobbyist and Onshape is my first experience with a CAD sofware. I was wondering if somebody from the forum could be kind enough to help me with this? 

Thank you very much. 

Hugues

Best Answers

Answers

• hugues_vanneaudhugues_vanneaud Member Posts: 7
    Thank you very much for your help !
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Thank you very much for your help !
    Happy to do it. After doing this a while it gets easier to notice if an edge is looking a little bit darker/thicker than others, and the red highlighted faces when the boolean fails also gives a clue.

Looks like a cool project. Marble run or something?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    It's a roadbike handlebar (Full project here)

I managed to fix the sliver face, but it did not solve my original problem. Thank you anyway, it would have caused some big problems later on. 
    I think I have a problem with the surface which split the main mold in two halves, but I have not found the solution yet. 
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @Evan_Reese - Can you explain the UV curves a little bit? If the geometry of the surface is the same (or is it just similar) between the loft and fill options, why are the UV curves different? I guess I don't exactly understand what they are and why they're different.

I know this is a little bit off on a tangent for this thread, but I'm super curious. Maybe it'll be educational for some other surfacing newbies as well. 
    Thanks a lot @Evan_Reese, I was really stuck on that problem ! 

I also found your video on curvature. Other people having problems with curves should watch it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X714INhNYL0&t=277s

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @Evan_Reese - So, it sounds like the UV grid is actually part of the underlying mathematical definition of the surface?

I saw your Face Curves tool and I thought it was just drawing new curves on the face of surface. Your explanation above makes it seems like its actually pulling the UV information about relating to how the surface was originally defined and using that to draw the curves? Am I understanding that correctly? If so, that sounds awesome. 

@tim_hess427
    Yep, UV coordinates are an inseparable part of what defines and makes a surface. I suspect most modern CAD packages try to hide it to make the software easier to learn, and usually it works out, but there are edge-cases like the one above where some understanding about your surfaces can help.

And yes, Face Curves is creating curves from the pre-existing UVs. Also, I could only make that feature because the dev team at Onshape made some new stuff available in Featurescript with the last update. From there it was pretty straightforward, so thanks, dev team!
    Thanks a lot @Evan_Reese, I was really stuck on that problem ! 

I also found your video on curvature. Other people having problems with curves should watch it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X714INhNYL0&t=277s

Glad I could help! post back here with the finished handlebars when they are done.