Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to create a surface from a complex object so I can thicken it evently?

Cobalt_EchoCobalt_Echo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
Is there a way I can create a surface from this imported model, so I can create a 2mm thick "mask" over the face?  I've been able to extude with an offset to create a "mask", but that is not an even thickness due to it only being extruded from a single direction.

What I'm trying to do is use this face/head as a template for a full face mask I want to make.  I've been using onshape on a basic level for about a year now, but this has me stumped!  Any suggestions appreciated!

Best Answers

• Cobalt_EchoCobalt_Echo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Evan_Reese Ok, I got all the parts filled in, got rid of the composite.  Scaled up a slight larger version, ect.  What I'm not sure about is how to subract the parts.  What funtion is that?
    Evan_Reese said:
    this is a tricky one. Even with thicken, it could be tough. I think the nostril and mouth need to be filled in first, and I think the areas at the corners of the mouth and maybe around the nose will still have a hard time not self-intersecting when thickening. You also probably don't want it to be a composite part (I see an eye-ball inside it). You might try to cheat it by copying the whole head and scaling it a tiny bit, then subtracting the small one from the big one. It won't give you an even wall thickness but might be good enough for printing.

Nevermind, got it!  Looks like that method will work, awsome!  Thanks a ton!
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Wohoo! glad to hear it!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

Note, this is not an STL file that I imported.  It's and STP file so I can interact with it.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @sam_cruise

You should post the link to your document so people can see what they can do with the imported mask

I’m thinking things might get tricky down around the mouth and the bottom of the nose. 

It would be interesting to take a look at

edited September 2020
    @steve_shubin

I can do that. Let me clean it up some, it's pretty nasty right now because I've been trying so many different things.
    edited September 2020
    @steve_shubin

Document Link: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cf30b07e9bf7a85660b584a8/w/452478f872a96ea8b74ef594/e/bc5bed2f2e4d6760c194f006

You can see how the mask is a lot thinner on the sides using the extrusion method.  I would like for the mask to be equal thickness all around.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @sam_cruise
    If you just use thicken on the faces, then use extrude with intersect to trim it, it should give you the same thickness
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    edited September 2020
    @sam_cruise
    If you just use thicken on the faces, then use extrude with intersect to trim it, it should give you the same thickness
    @MBartlett21 Use thicken on the face model, or on the mask itself?  I seems to have issues both ways.

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this from a 3D scan? 

I've played around with similar looking models (not faces, though) and did not have good luck working with them. Your best bet is probably to work with the software that made this file and see if you can simplify it more (especially around the nose/mouth and other complex areas) before bringing it into Onshape. 
    @tim_hess427 It's not from a 3D scan (that I know of). The STP files was sent to me by a coworker in another state (for me to mess with in personal time). So not sure about editing the STP file. That's something I haven't done before.  Have you?
    this is a tricky one. Even with thicken, it could be tough. I think the nostril and mouth need to be filled in first, and I think the areas at the corners of the mouth and maybe around the nose will still have a hard time not self-intersecting when thickening. You also probably don't want it to be a composite part (I see an eye-ball inside it). You might try to cheat it by copying the whole head and scaling it a tiny bit, then subtracting the small one from the big one. It won't give you an even wall thickness but might be good enough for printing.

@Evan_Reese I did do a little bit of a fill so there weren't any holes. But I don't think I filled the voids. I'll have to check.

The scaling thing might work, I'll give that a try and let you know!
    Yep. it's a solid part, which is great, but I think getting rid of those pocketed areas will help too.
    @Evan_Reese Ok, I got all the parts filled in, got rid of the composite.  Scaled up a slight larger version, ect.  What I'm not sure about is how to subract the parts.  What funtion is that?
    Answer ✓
    Evan_Reese said:

Nevermind, got it!  Looks like that method will work, awsome!  Thanks a ton!
    Answer ✓
    Wohoo! glad to hear it!