Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Variable not working

uldemauldema Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
Hello, I follow this example: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/variable.htm

However, it does not work, the dimension box is red and I see "Enter a valid expression"
I have tried 7 times now, in a sketch with only 1 line and with all types of variable.
I also tried adding 'mm' in the variable, in the dimension and all without the 'mm'
I also tried it on circles. And tried it with multiple variable names.
Also not working in another document, second account, other part, other computer. All used machines are rebooted twice, three different browser and rebooted twice.
I have watched a Youtube video doing exactly what I do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivg5nzXzSVs&ab_channel=EducationPublic but for me it does not work.

Could someone tell me how to set the length of a line to a variable? Is this function removed or maybe not available for free users?

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Is the variable above the sketch? Reorder (drag) the variable above the sketch. Features in the feature list are resolved in order. 

Is the variable of type length rather than number? Dimensions require length variables. 

Rebooting hardware will not affect cloud software 😀
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • uldemauldema Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Yes I know I was trying to dodge the 'have you tried turning it off and on again' replies :smiley:

Thanks, it was indeed the order of things, much appreciated. It would be a super nice error message telling me about this.