Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I specify the direction of a linear pattern with a round part in assembly?

james_howard360james_howard360 Member Posts: 28 PRO
I want to pattern parts in a direction for which I have no reference edges or faces, so I can't select the "Direction". Is there another way to select the direction (and if not, why?)

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You could try making a mate connector and using that as a reference? 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Because Onshape assemblies don't have default planes (or any "directionality" at all, other than the location of the origin), one of the first things I do when building up a new Assembly is to create 3 Mate Connectors at the Origin, with their Z-axis pointing in all three assembly axis directions...then I have a X, Y, and Z direction reference to use in the assembly. You can fix parts to these MCs, or use them for direction reference for patterns (this also ensures that patterns stay robust if you change a component that was used as a reference.

I find I have to hide the existing MCs as I create more, since they interfere with the selection of the origin. You'll also need to rotate the view a bit to wake of the automatic Y-axis reference (watch as the last MC is created). 

Good luck!
  • james_howard360james_howard360 Member Posts: 28 PRO
    I hadn't thought of using a mate connector, thanks!

• Jozef_Benz67Jozef_Benz67 Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Very helpful! Thank you very much! 👍🏼