Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Lasso Selection

Joe_SpartoJoe_Sparto Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
I've been using Onshape for about 2 months at work. Before that I used NX and Solidworks. My current project is requiring me to extract hundreds of faces from a solid body to create custom tooling. When I would do this in NX I had the option of turning my selection tool from a square into a Lasso to where I could select multiple faces quickly and more precisely. Is there any kind of option like this in Onshape? I Googled it and didn't find anything about a Lasso or Crossing Polygons option in Onshape.

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    edited September 2020
    You may find it useful to use the "Create Selection" tool (Right-click anywhere in graphics view>Create selection):
    There are quite a few options for building up selections.

You may also find that a different approach to the modeling problem is warranted. I've found Boolean operations to be very useful in Onshape (but didn't use them nearly as much in SolidWorks).

If you can share a representative public Document (something that has some of the problems you're dealing with, but that can be shared publicly) with the forum, the hive mind will probably have some suggestions. Here are instructions for preparing a document for sharing with the forum.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
    Romeo

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    There's no lasso select, but I'd use one for sure if there was. I made an improvement request here so go vote the heck out of it: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/14408/lasso-selection/p1?new=1
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    @Joe_Sparto also note that the box select tool behaves differently depending on whether you drag from lower left corner to upper right or vice versa. 

One mode selects entities fully enclosed within the box.  The other mode selects every entity even partially enclosed.  This is sometimes useful.