Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Could you guys partner with Markforged? (3D printing including Metal.)

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
edited October 2017 in App Store & Partners Apps
Hi folks.

I've recently upgraded my one of our 3d printers to one of Markforged's offerings and have been really impressed with the hardware and the cloud based slicer they run with.  (I'm in no way affiliated with the company, I'm just a customer.)

Having seen how well CAM can be integrated into OS I'd love to see the same thing with 3D printing slicers.  The thought of not having to mess about with STL files but instead being able to work directly with the Onshape part sent straight to the printer would be awesome.

I've singled out Markforged above the sea of other companies as they've got a good history of innovation, quick development and they already have a cloud slicer...  They make functional parts in carbon fiber and or metal so we're not just talking prototypes anymore.

I'd love it if you (I imagine I'm talking to @joe_dunne here) would approach MF and see if they'd be interested in partnering with OS.

Regards,
Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Comments

• Options
    darthponydarthpony Member Posts: 1
    Being able to print parts from Onshape in Eiger would be a very useful feature.
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd use this too!
  • Options
    Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    edited September 2020
    +1 for Ultimaker and the Cura platform
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    edited September 2020
    @Theo_R your comment inspired me to make a midnight (or rather 2:30 AM haha, although after editing and all, it's now 3:20 AM...) tutorial: https://youtu.be/ymduE9utPo4
    When you export as STL, you can drag the download thing right into Cura and hit slice for super fast transfer to the 3D printer! Also, setting units to mm will have it auto-size correctly in Cura.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Nice quick tutorial! Being a boomer, I slowed it down to 25% to get the steps and the upside was the music actually sounded better too. :) Always learn something watching your stuff; did not know could drag the download file like that. Thanks!
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    @alnis_smidchens
    Nice! Thanks