Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Offset tool error in sketch mode.

LKRENZLERLKRENZLER Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
The offset tool in sketch mode seems to have an agrivating snag.  It defaults to 0.25in but if any radius in your sketch is the same or more the feature is lost even if you really only want an offset of 0.125 as an example.  Is there any way to get around this?  It doesn't remember your last offset value (which it should).  I don't know if any place to set a default value.  Any ideas?  This image also shows another pet peeve in that dimension numbers like the radius and offset in this case are always dropped over other entities making them hard to read.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Drag the arrow or enter a smaller value?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @LKRENZLER

When the offset is between the pivot point and the arc at a corner, then that offset will produce an arc.

If the offset is not between the pivot point and the arc, then the best the program could do is generate a square corner

If you want a round corner on an offset that is not between the pivot point and the arc, then you can use the sketch fillet to put a radius on that offset. It just won’t be parallel with the outer arc

In the picture below, the offset is not between the yellow pivot point and the yellow arc. The two dashed construction lines are normal (perpendicular so to speak) to the inner arc. Notice that the lengths of the two construction lines are different, which indicates that the inner arc is not parallel to the outer arc

• LKRENZLERLKRENZLER Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    It seems like the trick is to pick one entity, drag the arrow (NOT enter a value) then pick the other entities, then enter the value you want.  If you pick all entities, the fillets are permanently lost even if you drag or enter a smaller value.  If you pick one entity, enter a value and then try to pick more entities it starts a whole new offset.  Thanks.

@LKRENZLER

If you are looking for a number of different fillet sizes in one sketch, then deselect the fillet tool and then re-select it when you want to make a different size from the previous one

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    If click/drag one entity it will chain select all of them and then you can drag it to the size before the fillets disappear.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    OK, that's even better.  Thanks.
    @LKRENZLER

Sounds to me like you’re looking for different size fillets

If that’s the case, you can key in different size fillets. You just need to deselect the tool after making one fillet, and then reselect the tool before making another fillet of different size

Thanks Steve, that's good to know.  In this case I didn't need different size fillets.  I was selecting the sketch loop first and then trying to offset which results in lost fillets.  However I didn't know you could click and drag as shown above.  Cheers.