Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Topographinator (Update)

MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
edited September 2020 in FeatureScript

Topographinator

Link

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/af87f92a8aacda9b29d58899/w/895817513a38f6bc735f701b/e/4782d8b17fc1f4ca112070c4

Created by: 

Michael Pascoe, Cache River Mill.

Description: 

This custom feature extrudes your 

sketch into multiple layers.

Prerequisites: 

A single sketch containing 3 or more fully enclosed shapes.

Notes: 

1. The order that you draw the faces will 

be the order that they are extruded.

1. Choose the layer thickness.

2. Select a center face.

3. Select the outer face as a boundary.

Application:

This feature is most useful when you need to stack multiple layers of plywood to create the base for a glass top river table.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    @Evan_Reese

Still learning the basics of featurescript. Any coding suggestions you have would be great!

This is my personal account. 

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    Very cool @MichaelPascoe :)
    Neat idea!
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    woooow! this is cool. There are a lot of more qualified folks here to give input, but one bit of feedback off the top of my head is to use opDeleteBodies to get rid of the splitting planes at the end. Before you do that though, I'd double-check whether you even need opPlane (which produces a user-visible, user-selectable plane like the plane feature) for all of those planes, or if simple planes could work (which are just a map consisting of an origin, x axis, and normal direction).

You could also use "MaxNumberOfPicks" : 1 for the query parameters. If it's set to 1 it will auto-advance once a selection is made, so you can just click. click. done.

A next-step in my mind is finding ways to automate the sketch creation somehow. Here's an example of an approach you might take (but using featurescript)
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    edited September 2020
    woooow! this is cool. There are a lot of more qualified folks here to give input, but one bit of feedback off the top of my head is to use opDeleteBodies to get rid of the splitting planes at the end. Before you do that though, I'd double-check whether you even need opPlane (which produces a user-visible, user-selectable plane like the plane feature) for all of those planes, or if simple planes could work (which are just a map consisting of an origin, x axis, and normal direction).

You could also use "MaxNumberOfPicks" : 1 for the query parameters. If it's set to 1 it will auto-advance once a selection is made, so you can just click. click. done.

A next-step in my mind is finding ways to automate the sketch creation somehow. Here's an example of an approach you might take (but using featurescript)
    Thank you @Evan_Reese , I like each of those ideas.

I have now incorporated the opDeleteBodies, and the "MaxNumberOfPicks" : 1. The planes gave me a lot of trouble yesterday, I decided to keep it like this for now.

@NeilCooke I'm so glad someone got my reference! 

Your featurscript videos are most helpful.

• Aaron_MagninAaron_Magnin Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 114
    This is so cool, thanks for sharing! Can we talk about the name though? Bravo. 
    edited September 2020
    Change the best part about this feature?? @Aaron_Magnin

Yes, we can talk about the name. It is derived from Phineas & Ferb.

edited September 2020

Update (9-21-2020)

You now have the option to use manual layers or auto layers. Auto layers only needs 1 enclosed shape created by a single edge.

This feature got my gears turning during a drive, so when I got back I played around with a way to simplify the Manual Layers selections. Right now, it relies on creation order, since that drives the order each face shows up in an evaluated query. I used a loop to just radiate the selection out from the center face, so now you can do it with just one selection (the center face) and creation order doesn't matter. Feel free to copy/paste this code directly, just take it as inspiration, or ignore it completely.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bcce8c3417a55687b55aca94/w/351327f0355ee49ec59055fb/e/54527ec5915c0633eb6f1ff2
    This is perfect. I was wondering how to do that. Thank you Evan.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    This is pretty cool keep it up
    This feature is getting so cool!
    This one turned out great, I learned a lot from it. Working on a different featurescript project at the moment. I'm excited for this next one.