Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What is the best way to put holes, for fastening, in two parts from different part studios?

William_SchlundWilliam_Schlund Member, Channel partner Posts: 9 ✭✭
I have two parts assembled together from different part studios.
I want to put holes in both parts, that line up, so they may be fastened together.
What is the best way of doing that?

Comments

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out modeling in-context. Also, did the parts need to be in different part studios? I know other CAD packages work that way, but consider putting more parts into a single part studio, especially ones that are going to be permanently bolted/attached to each other.
  • Options
    William_SchlundWilliam_Schlund Member, Channel partner Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Thanks, I was thinking along those lines but seems like too much work.
    The second part was imported from a 3rd party CAD system so it got put in its own part studio. 
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can still place imported CAD into an existing part studio. Just use the Derived feature. I believe you'll need to create version before being able to import the model.
  • Options
    alan_baljeualan_baljeu Member, User Group Leader Posts: 111 ✭✭
    I think this is a good way to do it:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7b4b1626dfe8c5ea7f6e49ce/w/e2289df862ca22f90f5a06da/e/c301629c8a9e093d067a4ac5

In this example, edit the Derived 1 feature to see the source.  I used Boolean 1 to create a hole simultaneously in both blocks.
    Creating knowledge-driven design automation software, for molds, etc.
    www.virtualmold.com