Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Slicer program not recognizing model

I've tried several times to export my OS model to my local drive, and then import it into my simplify 3d slicer, but it isn't working. What am I doing wrong, and can anyone help me please? Today is my first day using OS.

Answers

• Domenico_DDomenico_D Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 59 PRO

Hi @jimmy_hill306

Welcome to Onshape!

When you export a model from Onshape there are a few file type options. Are you making sure to export it in a file format that your slicer can use? Generally STL is used for 3D printing.

You can read more about exporting files from Onshape here: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/exporting-files.htm

• jimmy_hill306jimmy_hill306 Member Posts: 3
    I'm exporting in STL format, and my slicer finally recognized my model, but only if I converted it into a different scale which made it tiny. Is it because I'm trying to build my model in millimeters instead of inches?  How do I change the scale in OS from inches to millimeters. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    STL is a unitless format. The slicer software should be able to scale it. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO

The amount of waste (time, parts which are made at 25.4X too big or small, etc.) in the world caused by this is incalculable. I'd love to meet the people that made .STL and .DXF unitless. I won't write down what I'd like to do to them...

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU

@NeilCooke

What units does Onshape export to stl with? The document units?

I find the slicers that I've used generally expect stls in millimetres.

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • mark_nahabedianmark_nahabedian Member Posts: 31
    I'm having trouble with this too.  When I ask to download an STL file, OnShape prompts me for units -- implying that it will convert my model to those units for the STL.  Whether I pick inches, meters or millimeters, I get identical downloads.  Does the STL unit conversion option work?  What is the point of that selection?